Speaker Choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Unadan, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

I've got the following guitar cabinets:

Orange 2x12 closed back with V30s - 16 ohm cab
    Avatar 2x12 closed back with V30s - 8 ohm cab
    Avatar 1x12 open back - used to have a v30 sold and installed an 8 ohm Celestion Gold.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the Avatar 2x12. Do I convert it to open back and put a couple more Gold's in there (wired in series or parallel??).

Or do I keep one of the 16 ohm V30s and install a different speaker? Or maybe swap out for two Greenbacks? I'm at a loss as to what to do with this cab. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Right now the amps I use the cabs for are: Orange TH30 head and VHT Special 6 Ultra Head. Down the road I'm thinking I'd like to get a Silverface head of some sort - maybe a used bassman or something along those lines.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Just me, take no offense please, but i am just not a fan of the Vintage 30. I know it is almost the default 12 inch speaker with manufacturers now, but I just don't get it. Brash comes to mind, but that almost sounds pleasant.

I would try out some G12h30 speakers or the greenbacks

Not to be picky about the alnico, the gold sounds very nice, but i think the new blue is very very good and will mix well with other speakers.

3. Unadan

Unadan Member

^No problem. I need to branch out some more with my sound - I do like the sound of the V30s in the closed back Orange cab - that one is staying. How much different would the Greenbacks sound vs. the V30s in a closed back 2x12 cabinet?

4. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

This place is so funny. Why would a person get offended if you didn't like V30s?

5. Unadan

Unadan Member

How about a G12H30 70th anniversary and Vintage 30 in closed back? Or do you think this combo works better in an open back cab?

6. cestjoel

cestjoel Member

This is a great (only) set up for v30's. Efficiencies match up perfectly and covers most frequencies. Use this for your 2x12 avatar.
    Don't use current production greenbacks in the orange. Sounds very thin and focused. For a greenback type speaker I would go with Scumbacks or the heritage greenback g12m. I know theyre pricey, but well worth the $$$
    I really don't like the current production greenbacks. Tried them in several cabs and it always sucked lol

All this depends on what amps you're using. If you go to Jim's (Scumbacks) site, you could fill out a questionnaire of what gear youre using and what tone you want and he'll recommend a set of speakers for your taste. You cant go wrong with scums.

Joel