Speaker Cloth attachment?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by samdjr74, Feb 20, 2006.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I'm almost done with my project and I have one last question, what is the best way to attach a grill cloth, staples, glue or sandwhich it between the speaker and baffle. Just so everyone knows my cloth will not cover the entire baffle it will be on the inside of it and only cover the hole like an Emery Sound speaker cabinet.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Staples are quick & easy and will keep your grillecloth tight.

--chiba

3. samdjr74

Ok cool thanks, any particular place I should put the staples, as far out as possible or as close to the hole as poosible?

4. brad347

brad347 Member

i'm no amp/cabinet builder but I would guess you'd want to put them closer to the hole to keep it tighter. Otherwise there will be more 'play' in the cloth.

5. samdjr74

I was thinking that, get them as close as possible but I'd still want to be far enough away so th speaker ing isn't sitting on the staples

6. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

If you've got any scrap wood , make a frame and stretch/staple it tight on that .
    Then staple it to the cab around the hole outside the speaker diameter .
    Square-cut is better for the " edge unravel " factor . This one's t-nutted from the inside .

[​IMG]

This one I made a separate inside baffle for . The original was fine copper mesh glued to the front from the inside , but I gave it the inside baffle/t-nut treatment and used fabric . Sort of like silk so I just stretched it and glued it .

[​IMG]

7. Rich M

Rich M Member

Staples work to hold grillcloth to frames when the clothis wrapped around adge and stapled there. If you can't build a frame to fit in back, I would say a well clamped sandwich will stand the test of time better.