1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker combinations for a 2 X 12 Cab????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fibber_McGee, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Fibber_McGee

Fibber_McGee Member

I'm looking into making a purchase on an Avatar cab from their website, and as most everyone knows they will hook me up with any kind of speaker combination I can think of. Only problem is, there are too many combinations for me to choose from, and not enough knowledge on my part. Can anyone help me out with what some good speaker combos would be to but in the Avatar Cab??

:BEER

2. tedjac

tedjac Guest

What "sound" are you looking for? What head are you using? It would be hard for anyone to make any speaker suggestions without knowing what style music you play, what "timbre" are you in search of... who do you want to sound like?? I know these seem like sort of dumb questions, but with that kind of info from you... no one can (or should) make a speaker recommendation.

3. Fibber_McGee

Fibber_McGee Member

My fault, I forgot to include those details. Currently I'm playing a Marshall JCM 800 Lead '80's model. I will possibly look into getting a budda superdrive II head, or maybe an orange 50 watt. Not sure yet, but I really enjoy a crunchy, crisp overdrive, with a dirty clean. I don't care much to have a crisp clean sound, I just like to be able to get a crystal clear distortion for classic rock to modern rock sounds. Thanks!!

4. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

you could make it simple and stick with proven CL80s...

5. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

A V30/ G12h combo works very well in those cabs....kinda like a peanut butter and jelly deal. You can't go wrong.

You can also go with a Hellatone 60/ 30 mix and get the same thing, just pre- broken in (Hellatone 60 is an aged Vintage 30, and the Hellatone 30 is an aged g12h).

6. granite

granite Member

My Avatar 2x12 has an Emi Red Fang & an Emi Wizard. Killer combo sonically very, very similar to a Cel Blue and G12H30, without the cost of a Cel Blue. Gets crunchy and chimey. Lovin' it. Rob at Avatar is the best!

7. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Classic lead 80's... I run my 1988 JCM 2210 thru two of these in a Bogner oversized and I could'nt be happier!

8. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

With the Budda SD II you are going to want something with some top end like a G12H30 or even some Weber Ceramic Blue Dogs would be nice. I used to run a combo of G12H30/CL80 with my Budda SD II and it was great sounding by itself or in the studio but it never had enough sizzle to cut through the band. It was one of my favorite amps of all time though and if smooth and sweet is what you are after then look no further. With my Bogner Shiva I am currently using a V30/CL80 combo that is a really nice balance of smooth/clean and crunchy/violin sounds. With MArshalls I always seem to gravitate towards G12H30's and Greenbacks for some reason. My 2c ;)

9. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

I have the V30/G12H30 combo. It seemed to me to be the most versatile. I think having two separate speakers is the most versatile way to go: more complexity in front of the amp, and when being miced/recorded. Mic either speaker, and have an entirely different sound. And the V30/G12H30 pairing seems to work because each speaker is making up for what the other doesn't do sonically.

10. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Or ... buy the cab empty, and put in your own speakers ... I recommend one V30 and one Scumback ... I am really digging that combo, they seem to compliment each other as much if not more than the G12H30 and V30 do. Plus the Scumback sounds killer by itself, and has its own natural breakup... and you can get it in a 65 watt version.

11. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

V30 and CL80.

This is IMO a better combination than the V30/G12H-30, because it allows both speakers to be used to a more similar proportion of their power handling, and with a 100W amp - with a V30 and an H30, you can't drive the V30 any more than halfway, and you're limited to 60W for the pair.

The CL80 is in the same ballpark as the G12H-30, but sounds beefier and tighter, and will give you the crisp, clear distortion... and the V30 will give you the 'dirty clean' element.

12. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Well, I guess I need to get me a CL80 then!

13. Fibber_McGee

Fibber_McGee Member

This is great info guys, thanks for the advice!!! Now I just have to pull the trigger on the cab