Speaker comparison question... will this work?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Pedro58, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I read a lot of threads about choosing speakers. It is obviously a very important part of the tone recipe, and it seems that everyone's descriptions are very subjective. Even when you read the factory descriptions from Weber or Eminence, it can be a little confusing. I'm getting to where I know what Weber means by "bright," or "detailed," or whatever... he provides a glossary! But his "bright" and that of other manufacturers could be different. I don't have the time, the energy, or the dough to buy everything I want to try. So here is my solution:

Many of the manufacturers provide a graph that represents the speaker's tonal signature, like this:
    http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=6

If I copy the images into a simple program like MS-Paint, where I can look at them side by side, would it be easier to compare/contrast? I could get the graph for a Blue or a Greenback (Something I own/have owned and am familiar with) and look at the Eminence offering next to it. AM I missing something, or will this really help decide?
    I am interested in trying some Eminence stuff, but don't have much experience with their speakers. An important note: The Eminence thread (Started by Scumbag?) that has a zillion posts has been very helpful. Also, the clips posted by Jim of his Scumbag speakers and others was very helpful, too.

Just an idea...

2. SeanF

SeanF Member

I find those graphs somewhat helpful in seeing general trends, like scooped mids, or where the resonant peak is, or overall treble response, but I think it's very difficult to translate them to how the speaker really sounds.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the graphs are almost meaningless.

Have a look at the Celestion ones... they're all very similar. But the speakers don't sound that way.

It would be nice if it was that simple, but actually the verbal descriptions by people of what speakers actually sound like are far more useful.

I think it's simply that measuring the response of a speaker at various frequencies does not correspond to what happens when a complex, dynamically changing signal (ie any kind of guitar sound) is fed through it.

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

And even if the graphs were somewhat meaningful to compare, it's hard to take their images and scale them to be the same for comparison. They sometimes origin or scale differently, making it difficult just to compare them graphically.

Ted Weber is very helpful, though. If you have an amp and speaker currently and don't like something about it, you can tell him what you have and what you like and don't like. He seems to have the ability to translate that into a reasonable speaker suggestion (a Weber speaker, of course, but he makes good stuff).

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Pedro58... a couple of threads on the Plexi Palace addressed this. The bad news is that Duncan Boniface (former lead speaker engineer at Celestion) said the graphs were pointless. That's because they're not done with your amp, touch, guitar, tubes, etc. You can probably look the thread up over there, it was something like "G12H30 Anniversary vs G12H Heritage, the same speaker?" Duncan (DunxB is his handle) said that even though the graphs looked practically identical, the speakers sounded much different, something I would have to agree with. So while your thought of the graph in to a paint or stat program is utopian, it won't really help you decide on speakers. Too bad, that would make it easier! Here's the link to the PP thread.
    http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=45471&highlight=g12h30+heritage

I can't take credit for starting the Eminence thread (the MOAT, too!), though. LOL

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Thanks, guys... I knew it couldn't be that easy. I really do value the descriptions and comments of people who have heard and played the speaker. I was looking for something more objective and scientific. It really doesn't exist, obviously, because of the infinite and uncontrollable variables. So, it's the same thing as pedals, amps, and guitars: Buy used so that you can try it for free if you have to sell it later...