Speaker efficiency question, is a point and half dB noticeable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ChaseTMP, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Member

I'm running the Morgan AC40 1x12 combo with a WGS Blackhawk HP (100w) who's sensitivity is rated at 99.26dB. I'm playing around with replacing one of the 12AX7's with a NOS 5751 to get less breakup and more clean headroom at stage volume. If that doesn't work (and before going investing in an Unleash), would a higher efficiency speaker make that much difference? something like an Eminence Tonkerlite 16, at 101dB? I've also read that Eminence's sensitivity ratings may be a little exaggerated…I'd be sticking to the theory of using a speaker that can handle double the amp wattage, so something 75w+. If the minor point differences are noticeable; any higher sensitivity speakers you'd recommend with the Alnico (Vox) vibe?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If it did, it wouldn't be significant.

3. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

I could. I think you would have to look at the frequency range graphs of both speakers. For example one might really emphasize highs more and that would be noticeable even if they are rated the same

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

You might notice it, but it works be fine I think. As others said, depends on the specific speakers too. Also, a 5751 won't make your amp cleaner and louder, it will just be cleaner at a higher setting on the volume knob. It won't get as dirty at the max and the tone might be slightly different than a 12ax7, but it won't affect headroom.

5. ddog

ddog Member

absolutely ...yah

6. voxylady

voxylady Member

IIRC, 3db's is the minimum volume change in which the human ear can perceive a volume difference, so I don't know if it'd make a big enough difference for you.

Somebody please correct me if this info is incorrect.

7. JB6464

JB6464 Member

I don't think that small of a db difference would be noticeable if both speakers are the same type and have the same frequency response .
    Example : A V30 and an EVM12L are both 100 db but sound totally different due to the frequency response built in to each speaker .

8. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

All else being the same it probably would make a difference, barely.

But all else isn't the same; so maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't.

I would guess it isn't going to make much of a difference.

Using a speaker cabinet with more than one speaker would probably be a better way to get more headroom. But even that wouldn't help a whole lot.

9. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

I doubt you'd notice much difference.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yea you'd have to go up to like a 102db CRex or something to be noticeable. You'd get more mileage out of adding a 2nd cab/speaker.

11. slybird

slybird Member

Try this sound test, or try this one. My ears notice a 3db cut, but just barely at the upper and lower frequencies. My ears are able to hear volume differences in the 500hz-3000khz the clearest. From the second test I barely notice a 1db change in volume.

12. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

You cannot really compare one manufacturer's db rating to another's, especially not to Eminence, which overrates their speakers by 3 db or so. I have no idea how WGS rates their speakers, but your Blackhawk could conceivably be louder than the Eminence you listed. If they were rated the exact same way, 2db is noticeable, but only barely.

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The folks talking about frequency response are right on, too. The difference between a big brown/blond Fender amp and a BF Fender is mostly that the BF has much less mids. By extension, boosting highs and lows and cutting mids will give you more perceived volume with less distortion, although the actual power output is the same. You can get the same effect with an EQ pedal by cutting mids and boosting highs a little. So, a very efficient, very bright speaker like an EVM12L or a JBL D120F is going to sound louder than a mid-forward speaker like almost any Celestion derivative, even at the same rating. If you can stand the weight, I'd try the EV and see if the EQ spectrum works for you.

14. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

That's what they say.. but in reality for me when a amp is pushing 115 dbs you change speakers and now its 116.5 dbs. I will notice it and my ears are going to give out much sooner. Then again I have exceptional hearing

15. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Probably not for long if you do that frequently for sustained periods! :(

16. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

No you won't be able to tell, and FWiW here isn't a consistent measuring criteria and I've heard eminence over calculates.