Speaker enclosures with both 12" AND 10" speakers........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Jul 9, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Anybody ever try one of these? I'm looking for a bottom for my Bruno Pony and I came across a Speaker bottom with 1 -12" and 2x 10" speaker configuration.

Interesting huh? Anyone ever try this? Is it a good mix for a Plexi type amp? I'm already thinking about a good 50 watt 12" and a ragin cajun set up for it.........As long as the ohms match it should be cool no?

Or should I stick to the tried and true 2x12 for all my Bluesbreaker wishes and be like everyone else?

What do ya all think? [​IMG]

All comments are welcome.............

2. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

Yup , I got a pine 2-12/2-10 openback cab made by Bart Hutton in Brooklyn (the same guy that used to make cabinets for Tony Bruno) . Right now the cab is set-up with a Vintage30 ,Weber alnico Bluedog and two cheap Eminence ceramic 10's...I love it , it's half the weight of a Marshall 4-12 .

Budda was also making a 2-12/2-10 cab ...They may still . Also ,THD used to make a 2-12/2-10 cab , as well as a 1-12 /2-10 cab...In fact , that's where I got the idea to get mine done . I don't think they make them any more .

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Cool.........what kind of head are you using with it?

I'm seriously thinking about snatching this thing up............

4. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

The amp is a 5F6-A Bassman "sort-of-clone" with with a couple of "Marshally" sounding tweaks , but the cab works pretty good with a Hayseed 30 and a Clubman 35 as well .

If you're planning to use the cab with a Bruno amp , you may want to contact Tony Bruno himself , as I'm sure he has ideas on what will and what will not work well with his amps .

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks for the advice but I'd have a better chance of contacting leo fender then Tony Bruno. I LOVE tony but he is kind of a hermit these days. You need to go through Ultra sound for everything. I have his email but his answers are usually 1 worded Yes or No or he directs me to ultrasounds Ken Volpe. I used to be really good friends with Tony back in the 90's in queens ........but he just wants to make great amps........hates to talk about them. But he is the best so you gotta put up with the quirks I guess. :rolleyes:

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I built a 12/10 combo for my GDS 18-Watter and I love it. The cab is pine and about 12" deep. I also use the cab for running my Hayseed 30. I have a Celestion Blue and a Weber Silver 10". A great combo!

7. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

I know that Eric Ambel has a Goldtone cab with 2 12's and 2 10's, the 10's are open backed and the 12's are closed and it's split for stereo. That sounds like an IDEAL combination to me.

[​IMG]

"The cabinet on the left is a fantastic Gibson Super Goldtone. It is set up with 2 10" speakers open
    backed and 2 12" speakers closed backed. The cabinet is divided L/R with one 10" and one 12" per side. On the left side I have a Mojotone
    10" ceramic speaker and a Celestion Vintage 30 12". On the right side I have the new Jensen P-10 R 10" and the P-12 R 12" alnicos. I had my
    friends at Vintage Amp Restoration in St. Louis make the clean looking wheat colored grill for me."

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've been using the 1210 KJL Clubowner cabs for quite some time and they sound decent to me with a ceramic 12 for a tight bottom and an alnico 10 for a smooth top end.
    [​IMG]

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've been using a 12/10" combo cab. for my Fargen Dual Classic...it took awhile to find speakers that I liked but I ended up with a Governor/Copperhead combo...also like the Cannabis Rex/Copperhead combo and the CR/Ragin Cajun combo...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. e-z

e-z Member

My Juke has 1x12 and 2x10. I'm so sold on the idea I want to take my London head and convert into a 1x12/1x10 combo.

11. macula56

macula56 Member

when you use different size speakers, which speaker do you put the mike on?

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Budda used to make a 2x12/2x10 cabinet. Great sound. Should one wander along, I'd probably bite on it...

jb