Speaker FAQ page...let me know what you think.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scumback Speakers, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I have put together a speaker FAQ sheet on my site. It discusses the difference between various cones, dust caps, wattage ratings, how to effectively get the right wattage speakers for your amp head, and bunch of recommendations for popular amps. I will add to it as time goes on, but this will help alot of folks make decisions on what type of speakers to get for their amps and tone needs.

http://www.southbayampworks.com/faqs.html

2. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I like it as far as it goes, but for the user who has no experience with your speakers, it doesn't give much of a "familiar" frame of reference.

For example, no mention is made of really small magnets, like the ones in the old alnico Jensens (or Eminence or Mojotone, etc). If I were looking for a speaker, that's the type I'd want and your Q&A doesn't address that at all.

Now it may be you don't want to mention those speakers because you don't offer anything like that, and that's fine, but a lot of people use some sort of Celestion or JBL speaker (old or new) as a reference and they're not mentioned either.

There's also a point I believe needs clarification: you say "Generally speaking, the heavier the ceramic or alnico magnet, the more sensitive the speaker, and the louder it gets..."

While I'd agree on the "louder" part, based on my own 42 years of playing experience, I'd disagree with the "sensitive" part. I realize we may have different perception as to what "sensitive" is, but you might want to go into a bit more detail about what you mean.

So while there's some interesting information in your content, there's an assumption of knowledge of your product line on the part of the user that may not exist. I am one of those users.

3. krash

krash Member

the term "sensitivity" has a specific meaning in loudspeaker terminology, apart from the use of the word "sensitive" to describe some subjective quality of a musical instrument in general. I think when SBA says "sensitive" they mean the cone moves further with a given voltage input. The term "sensitivity" also is synonymous with the term "efficiency" in loudspeaker lingo, and I prefer "efficiency" simply because it does not draw up confusion such as this, since there are fewer people who will think when I say a speaker is "efficient" that I mean anything other than that it produces a lot of sound with a little bit of input.

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

OK, thanks for the clarification.

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Very nice I think, indeed helpful when selecting a scumback.
    All in all it'll take a pretty knowledgeable person to match up a speaker with a certain cab or combo ... sooo many factors, but this certainly helps!

6. Scumback Speakers

Your points about other magnets and speaker types are well taken, however, until I can get all of the pertinent data on alnico magnet weight I wasn't going to go into specifics on those speakers.

To be honest, the only Jensens I've ever liked are the old ones from the 50's and those are pretty much unobtanium in my experience, although there are some exceptions. I never got real enthused about their ceramic mag models, though (C10R 10" and any of their ceramic 12's), as they just weren't too "dynamic sounding" to my ears. YMMV, of course, depending on amp/guitar/style of music.

I am planning on adding in information on JBL's, and EV's, since I have personal experience with those speakers already, which is why I said I'll be adding onto this FAQ page as time goes on.

My alnico speaker research is continuing, by the way. I have purchased a very nice 1970 Vox Silver Alnico with an original Pulsonic 102 003 cone (8 ohm, 25 watt modes) that passed all of OCSR's and my ear tests, too. I have also tested a Scumback cone with a 15 watt voice coil in an old Cele Blue frame, and that shows some definite promise, as it has a bit more bottom end than the regular Cele Blue, and slightly smoother top end. I'm going to try a 30 and 50 watt version soon and see how that stacks up as well.

While I have no plans to do anything like an EV or JBL, I'll work on adding that info to the Speaker FAQ when I get back next week.

Please keep the suggestions coming on how I can improve the FAQ. :D

7. hogy

hogy Member

Since you asked, I would disagree with this:

"Humbucker guitars put out more low end than single coil guitars, [...]"

I find the opposite to be true. Humbuckers may have more output, but SCs have deeper bass.

8. Scumback Speakers

Hmm, my P-90's in my 61 SG seem to have more bass than my Strat, which seems to have less bass than my humbucker guitars in my 61 SG Std, and Les Pauls.

What SC's/what guitar, hogy? Strat? LP Jr?

9. hogy

hogy Member

Humbucker have more output and overdrive the bass frequencies more, but they have more midrange and less bandwith than SCs, on both ends. I can hear a lot more low end detail and extension with vintage style SCs. Just listen into the tone when you play a Strat and your SG on the neck pickup into a clean amp with plenty of power and then de-tune the low E. There's a whole sub harmonic layer with a SC that the HB can't get.

Or to be more specific, play the stacked fourths intro chords to "The Wind Cries Mary" into a Super Lead with a Strat and the SG. The Strat will sound deeper.

At least that's how I hear it.

10. Scumback Speakers

I'll give that a try with my Plexi clone next week with the Strat, and the 61 SG Special. I always though the P-90's were fatter than the Strat pickups, but hell, I've been playing buckers alot more than my SC's, so I guess I need to revisit that....

11. hogy

hogy Member

"Fatter" does not equal deeper bass. I'm just talking about bandwith here.

12. Scumback Speakers

Thanks, sir. My gripe with SC's is always the noise/hum. While the WCR SR pickups in my Strat are much better at it, the neck ain't feeling right to me so I don't play it much. It's in my luthier's right now for an evaluation on what's bothering me with the string height, etc.

Now my 61 LP/SG Special feels right, but the noise is worse than the Strat, unless you get that perfect angle with the amp that lowers the noise ratio to a tolerable level.

Like I said, I need to work with it more, and figure out some way to deal with it, whether it's shielding, shielding paint or whatever.

What's the hot tip on the P90 noise thing? I've already put in a Wolfetone P90 in the bridge that does the hum cancellation thing in the middle position, but I play the neck and bridge alot more often than the middle.

Any tips on how to quiet that old guitar down?

13. hogy

hogy Member

Live with it. It is what it is. Imagine Hendrix without single coil buzz, its part of the sound, it's electric and buzzing with energy.

If in doubt, turn it up!

14. Scumback Speakers

Somehow I knew you were going to say this! LOL

15. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

For blues and country, the small magnet alnicos are the shizzle. I agree about the ceramic magnet Jensens but I dislike ALL ceramic magnet speakers so I'm not a good source of an opinion for that. But the old small-magnet Alnicos (P10R, P12R) ad some of the clones from Eminence ARE good. I'm not real hot on the Jensen Ris except the 8" but I've got some 12" 20-watt Eminence Legends with the paper former that are as nice a speaker as I've ever heard.

Are you using paper formers for your 15-watt speakers?

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's weird, but my 57 Special has very little hum, certainly less than my 57 Strat-must have something to do with how the windings are thrown. So I guess my advice might be to try a few different P90s to see if you can find a set you can live with. Also, if the guitar isn't vintage, shielding might help a bit...

As to the speakers, I also vote for some mention of Jensens (and preferrably Rola/Utah alnicos as well). The 59 Bassman just doesn't sound right without P10Rs, P10Qs or both. Neither does a GA79RVT (which doesn't overdrive them, while the Fender does, they sound great both ways). I'm going to object on the ceramic Jensens, too. A Vibrolux at full chat will compress a pair of alnicos too much, where a pair of C12Rs will be just right. And they just sound different than Blues or Greenbacks-better suited to the Fender high/low, missing mids thing to my ears. Perhaps you'd consider getting someone like Weber to do the american speaker part, since you work with him? Looking forward to the JBL and EV sections. SROs are some of my favorite high wattage speakers (along with Fanes).

17. Scumback Speakers

I'm going to try all of the options that make sense, and that's supposed to be one of them, but they don't handle much wattage, so 15-20 is all they'll deal with without warping, etc.

Probably another S-load of R&D to get it right, of course, but hey, that's what had to happpen for the Scumbacks to sound like old Pre Rola's, too.

18. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

AAh, but for that old Fender sound, they are the shizzle. I have the Emis in my Deluxe and Bassman (both tweed clones) and they are SCHWEET.