Speaker for 1x12 JCM 800 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ekkybedmond, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Supporting Member

Does the Celestion G12-80 still rule

or wil a Mesa V30 work as well

2. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

I would be looking at.....
    Celestion G12M 65w Creamback
    Scumback M75 or H75 depending on your personal preference

3. 71strat

71strat Member

150W Celestion G12H Redback

Or Scumback.

Jaji, Badtone and kookaburra like this.
  4. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I loved the scumback blackback H magnet with the 55hz bass cone in that amp. Kind of particular but wow, great sound.

Darkburst likes this.
  5. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I'm not sure which 800 model you have in mind, and it would really depends on what kind of tone/feel you're after?

That being said, for the classic tones with a 2204 the good old G12 65 are a great option in a 1x12 IMHO; I've had a couple of 4010 combo with those, great match.

6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

65 or 75 are both great, depending on what you are playing.

7. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

Unpopular opinion, but I've always got good sounds with the GT12-75 (or whatever it's called....)

bigtone23 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  8. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I used the older Weber made blue back Scumback H75 LHDC in 65 watts ... the M75 is good too, but a 2nd choice.

9. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

G12-80 or Mesa C90, which are very similar. I put a C90 in my 4010 and it was incredible for that amp. (My C90 even had a G12-80 sticker on it.)

wntbtw and QRSS like this.
  10. mikebat

mikebat Member

Celestion G65, that is what came with them, that is what they sound best with. WGS ET65 is close in design and sound.

11. blues

blues Supporting Member

My 4010 has an original G12-65. I tried a few others and went back to the G12-65

wntbtw, QRSS and Musicman like this.
  12. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Except when they came with a G12m-70! (which are not bad speakers even tho folks rag on them)

I just popped a G12 -65 Heritage in a recent purchase (JCM 800 4010). I am really liking it. I also run a 50 watt head into 1936 suitcase cab loaded with V30's and the 1 x 12 combo is sounding better!

The Eminence GB-128 is nice for JCM 800's....woody and a bit warmer. I have another 2 x 12 cab with those speakers and my head sounds better through that cab (vs the V30's).

I plan to do some more comparing! I love that 1 x 12 combo. A lot of amp in a small package. So far the 65 is working quite well for me!

wntbtw likes this.
  13. mikebat

mikebat Member

I have had a 4104 2x12 vertical input jcm800 since new. It came with 2 65’s but when one shorted and about a war in, it went back to the distributor for warranty repair, it came back with a 70. So now it has the original 65 and a 70.

At this point, I have had that combo for about 30 years. Both speakers are well worn in and sound great. I cannot tell them apart.

But a 70 is not the dreaded 75 that people seem to hate. And....I will go one further, my buddy runs a studio and has 8 Marshall 2x12 cabs. They were all originally g75’s and after 20 years of constant daily loud playing they sound great.

When one blows he now swaps in et65’s from wgs.

The bottom line is they came with 65’s and later 70’s and sound great with both. They are my measuring stick for speakers.

Long live the 800

wntbtw likes this.
  14. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Oh, it's evergreen. Got to love this driver.

bigtone23 and wntbtw like this.
  15. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

The 70 isn't bad, just has a very dated '80s hair band sound.

When I bought my second JCM800, I demo'd it through a 4x12 with 75s. Dang, sounded great IMHO.

16. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

As I've indicated above, I like the 75s. I think more people would dig them if they listened with their ears instead of their 'forum knowledge'! Of course, they're not for everyone or everything. But they have a bad rap, and I think it's more due to groupthink than subjective analysis.

17. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Then of course there are two vastly different G12T75s, the G12-65 damper one and the G12K85 damper one. The earlier ones are quite smooth on top and quite unlike the later ones.

gulliver likes this.
  18. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Maybe if you play "hair" stuff and EQ the amp for that sound! I have had a lot of JCM 800 combo amps over the years and many came with the 70's. I never gave it much thought back then (I don't think anyone did)....UNTIL: Michael Doyle's "The History of Marshall" book. Blame that dude:)

My 4010 came with the a 70 and the interesting thing is that it did not meek the criteria for what was being said about it! I read this kind of stuff:
    It is shrill and thin
    It has no bottom
    It has too much bottom
    it's too warm with lots of mids
    It is way too scooped with no mids
    It is lacking in the highs

Seriously...where is the consistency! I don't take much from peoples speaker evaluations because rarely do guys mention how they EQ things or what kind of sound they are going for....musical style etc. Too many factors!

The one in my combo sounded very good! It was NOT shrill and thin. Nice warm full sound.
    When I changed to the 65 I was wondering if I should swap back! I do plan to load it into a single 12 mesa cab I have sitting around and give it a go! Hell I bought into the bad press thing and ordered the G12-65 before I even received the amp...shame on me! Should have known better. Don't get me wrong the 65 sounds great, just not sure if it was an improvement or just change!

I have also read on a few forums where some guys are mentioning that those speakers sound great and can't figure out way all the bad press!
    That Doyle dude must be responsible:bounce....that's all I got for now:aok

WholeLottaGlove likes this.
  19. SteveAlysis

SteveAlysis Member

I loved the g1265 with any Marshall I’ve tried.

Eminence CV75 if you want to stay in the V30 realm. Killer speaker and can be had fairly cheap used. I got mine for $50 shipped to my door.

Eminence Tonker for something different. Fairly neutral sounding, but nice smooth highs.

QRSS likes this.
  20. mikebat

mikebat Member

:) The g12-70 a hair band speaker, that is a first!

Honestly, I can't see that, having played 1 g12-70 of 2 speakers in that combo for 3 decades but....then again, I am not a hair metal guy.

Is the g12-60 pre-hair band metal speaker? (I am just yanking yer chain)

bluesoul likes this.