Speaker for 5e3?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vicilux, Apr 27, 2008.

1. vicilux

vicilux Member

Ok, so I got this Ceriatone off ebay....super score. I bought a Weber Blue Dog Ceramic 50 watt for my Ampeg Gemini 1, which was a total sonic cream dream. So I try the Cer. Blue Dog in the 5e3, and that sounds beautiful as well. I was thinking of getting another Cer. Blue Dog to put in both amps. My question is this; would the Alnico Blue Dog sound even better in the 5e3? And what wattage? 30 or 50? Any tips would be great! Thanks.

2. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

The 30w Weber alnico blue is an excellent match for a 5e3, as is the Weber sliver bell, or Celestion alnico blue, & even the Fane Ax100. All match up with this circuit well, with subtle differences.

3. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

4. Boogs

Boogs Member

Weber 12A125 was probably my fav.

Emi GB12 was louder and fuller. great sounding speaker, though as many say, it doesn't have the 3-dimensional sound that Webers usually have.

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

+1 for the 30 watt alnico blue :AOK

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm sure the Blue Alnico does sound good as well as a Cermaic Blue Dog. The Speaker that my Tweed Deluxe Clone liked the best was the Mojo BV30.

7. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I liked the Celestion Blue. It matches up very well.

8. bgood

bgood Member

I have a few hours on a Weber 12F125 and so far it's really good. Much louder than the Jensen C12Q I had in there and very nice tone all around. rated at 20 watts, light dope. I had a ceramic Blue Dog in a Blues Junior and I was not happy with it so I wasn't going to try another but I have heard those speakers do nicely in the 5E3.

Guys love the Red Fang in these amps too - $$$$

9. go7

go7 Member

Could someone please describe the tonal difference between a Weber Blue and a Weber 12A125 in a 5E3.I have a 12A125 in my Mission 5E3 and really like it,just looking for more volume.Thanks.

10. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I tried a Blue in mine, did not dig it. Always loved (and still do) my Reverend Alltone 1250 in my Mission 5E3.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I want to say the Weber you have is a copy of a Jensen C12N and a Weber Blue Dog is a British speaker copy IIRC.

12. Crikey

Crikey Member

Lots of cool options out there! Just make sure that the speaker you buy will fit in the amp's cabinet. I've heard that some 5E3s won't fit a Celestion Blue, but others must since the Blue is standard in the Clark Beaufort and the Fender '57 Amp.

Good luck!

Crikey

13. vicilux

vicilux Member

Thanks guys...I have a Weber Alnico Blue on the way (30 watt) The ceramic blue dog will happily reside in my Ampeg Gemini 1.

14. dad gad

dad gad Member

I'm using a hellatone 30 in mine and it is LOUD! I love it! The highs are crisp and bright and the low end is nice and tight. I had a weber alnico in at first,and I dig the warmth that alnico provides, but ultimately I prefer to have the aggresive bite that the ceramic gives.

15. Flux

Flux Member

Nothing wrong with the original P12Q either. Weber will make you one. (12A150 ?)

16. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

+1. It sounds great, but be careful... it's very close to all that speaker can take. I get worried when I hear it hit the end of it's excursion... :eek:

If you plan on taking the amp out and hitting it hard, I would go with a gold or a Weber...

17. 5E3

5E3 Member

I have a Celestion G12H30 in my Richter Tweed Deluxe and am very happy with it.
    But you know how it is with tone ... totally subjective. :)

[​IMG]

18. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

My Celestion Blue had no problems handling the 5E3. The Blue is a somewhat conservatively rated speaker.

19. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I got a 1960 vintage Jensen P12Q in my Clark 5E3 and it sounds great! Very smooth.

20. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Probably in the minority..but I like the Jensen RI C12Q 35 watter after break in, it has just enough looseness to give the amp body and crispness at the same time. I assume a Celestion Blue would sound astounding after break in? Tweeds Rule...and that's from an old Vox guy. Go man Go.