speaker for a honky higher gain amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Uli Jon Blackmore, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

I have a multi channel amp that I really like in lower gain but in higher gain channels gets too honky. I am most interseted in 70s hard rock tones through harder stuff but no scooped mids metal. I play through a 2 x 12 and would like to replace on of the 12s. I want to be able to have both low and high gain settings and keep a relatively tight low end. The speaker will have to be 50-75 watts or so. I am deliberately not telling you the amp nor the current speakers because I do not want this to devolve into a I like or do not like this amp or speaker like so many posts do on here. Thanks in advance.

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The WGS ET-90 is a very neutral sounding speaker.. no honk....great for the styles of guitar you play

3. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Mesa C90 Black Shadow Celestion. Plenty of them on eBay.

4. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack Silver Supporting Member

Or, for a (slightly) cheaper alternative, Line 6 Celestion G12H-90s. I've heard they are pretty close. VERY flat EQ, but still warm sounding. I had just bought an old Flextone II cab before trading away a '68 Custom Princeton that I just didn't like. Played it through that cab and was blown away.

You could also dip your toes into the hemp cone world. If you don't want to pay $100+ to do so (don't know your budget), I would buy a 12" to 10" converter and pick up an Eminence Lil Buddy. Should be able to grab both of those for about $80 or $90. Just another suggestion!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I think that I will look into a WGS ET-90

6. sleewell

sleewell Member

7. 71strat

71strat Member