Speaker for a Mesa MK I RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pablomago, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

What speaker would you recommend in a Mesa MK I RI other then an EVM 12L? I want to try something different. I was thinking a Black Shadow C-90 or a Fillmore. Any other options I should try?

2. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I run Vintage 30s with my Mark I's. I never liked the MC90 or the EVM12L with these amps.

3. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

I took out the EVM (which I have not ever really liked ) in my Mark I RI Combo and replaced it with a 100 watt Scumback H75 which I think sounds outstanding both clean and overdriven. I also sometimes plug my '68 Fender Showman head into that speaker which I also love.

Of all the speakers I have tried the Scumback is my all time favorite.

4. jujube

jujube Member

Fillmore would be worth a try. The KS-100 I have in my King Snake is excellent. I have a Great Plains speaker 417-8H for my Mark I RI. Miles above the Celestion 90. Scumback suggested the J series speaker for this amp when I asked them.

5. bettset

bettset Member

i have a fillmore in my ks too. figure if boogie put 10 yrs of r&d in to it it should deliver. then again.......if you score a nice altec 417 8h wonder how that could turn out. it would be better than the c90. although the c90 sounds good in my lonestar 100/50. i agree with the scumback idea too. good range of options. just turn up and let the amp shine :munch

6. jujube

jujube Member

The Great Plains speaker is made with the same tooling as the Altec 417-8H. Bill Hanuschak who worked at Altec is in charge. whanuschak@cox.net

$330 for one speaker. It is a spectacular speaker with a very sweet top end.

7. BlackBart

BlackBart Member

Mesa now has the Fillmore available for sale on their website. $129

8. 55 Jr

55 Jr Member

I just installed an Eminence Red White and Blues to my MKI. I own a backline rental company. It's important that all amps in inventory sound great and have appeal to the aficionado.

Last night I brought it to a local open stage. Played a half hour set with a friend.

The guitarist for the next band up immediately approached me asking if he could play through the Mesa.

He was a great player! I had the opportunity to listen closely to the amp.

He was plugged into channel 2. Fulltone Mini Déjà Vibe and Zombie Klone for effects. Boss DD7 in the loop.

Amazing tones!

Best regards,
    Brian
    The RiverCity Guitar
    *High End Backline Rentals*

9. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

The Black Shadow is not a bad choice imo

10. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I personally prefer Hemp Cone Celestion-style speakers.

I play a MarkIII.

I'm currently using a Steamboat Hemp 100, which is a re-coned G12-80 (similar to the C90).

I have also really enjoyed a Hemp Weber Blue Dog.

I have a Hemp Cone EV Force 12 that sounds great when I was a more traditional vintage Mark sound, but I prefer Celestion-style speakers. I'd take a Force 12 over an EVM12L because they tend to be a bit cheaper, weigh much less, have slightly less bass, and the hemp cone on mine attenuates some of the treble that is a bit excessive (IMO) on a typical EV paper cone.

Other speakers I liked:
    Golds
    V30s
    WGS Blackhawk
    Eminence Red Fang