• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Speaker for a Two Rock

gpecoulas

Platinum Supporting Member
Can anyone recommend a speaker that sounds good with a Two Rock amp and also a Marshall Plexi. I am looking to replace a Vintage 30 that's in a Bogner Cube .

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
G1265 will be a great match for the Two-Rock and will work ok for the plexi. The Two- Rock doesn't like the the vintage 30.

I have used Scumback speakers with great success.H55,and H75,HP models.They did require about 30 hours each of break-in time.Very woody,present,no 'icepick' high end.The consumate cloned,vintage,pre-Rola,toned speaker.Call or email Jim.Listen to sinasl1's clip.It's quite good,and representative of the speaker.

Last edited:

tybone

Aside from the G12-65, most of my favourite speakers with a TR are alnico based. Altec, EV and Tone Tubby. I have a Shiva style boggy 1x12 and the altec sounds great in there. It also sounds great with my 18w marshall clone. Tone tubby is too deep to fit!

Scumbacks and other Celestion "style" speakers are also great. More punchy. I am all about the Heavy magnet versions. Everything GFM said and more. Needless to say they are quite good with Marshalls.

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
Man I'm going to have to try some scumbacks. :AOK Everyone seems to really like em.

gpecoulas

QUOTE=SReynolds;5667519]G1265 will be a great match for the Two-Rock and will work ok for the plexi. The Two- Rock doesn't like the the vintage 30.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know who makes the Two Rock TR 12-65 speaker for them. Are they basically G1265s or something else?

Stevo57

Gold Supporting Member
George,
I believe they are Eminence made. Go for the Gold or the previously recommended
EV12L. That Opal loves that speaker!

I use a Celestion gold mixed with a Two Rock speaker. I have tries alot of speakers , vintage included and for me the gold is the best, followed by the Two Rock speakers, they are very nice. In a 2x12 the mix is great. If I had a 1x12 I would choose the GOld as I feel it has more versatility, from cleans that sparkle to crunch.

T2tele

With my Two-Rock Kimock, in a 2x12 setup.. the Scumback's are the ticket. As with most Two-Rock's, the amp is pretty touchy to what speakers it couples with, and I have tried everything out there (with the exception of EV's), including the Austin speakers. In my 2x12 Sig setup the Scum H55 and H75HD work best for my needs, perfect match to the Kimock. I have an original pair of Celestion G1265's, and those also sound great, just not as expressive and smooth as the Scum's. The Scumback's need break in time, unless you take the time to do so, you will never really hear what they sound like?

For a 1x12 setup, the ceramic (brown frame) Austin speaker sounds real nice in my pure 64 1x12 cab (great.. huge sounding cabinet) with the Kimock. This setup sounds absolutely killer with my 5E3 Tweed! The Pure 64 1x12 cab sounds like a 2x12, it's a great gigging cabinet. A friend of mine "rreiser" uses 2 of these (loaded with EV's) in stereo with great results!!

I also have a Matchless cab loaded with a pre Rola G12H and an old V30, this cab is more "top end" sounding, letting more glassy/higher frequencies come through, sounds good.. I just prefer the Scummy's with the T-R amps.

I'm looking foreword to trying a set of original EV 12L and SRO together in the Sig cab... maybe in another 1x12 Pure 64 cab, in stereo :AOK

T2

Last edited:

johnzias

I just ordered a pair of Austin Speaker Works KTS-70's to pair with my Classic Reverb. Hope they do the trick.

Fundamentally I play clean mostly, and I love my TR with my Altec 417's.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I'd think the EVM12L will do both amps fine.

Fane alnicos (the AXA 12") should also do well with both amps.

S>j

Stevo57

Gold Supporting Member
George,
of those two the 200 watt classic would be better. If you can find an older 12L you'll save some dough.

jspax7

[/quote]Does anyone know who makes the Two Rock TR 12-65 speaker for them. Are they basically G1265s or something else?[/quote]

Eminence Red White and Blues seems to be the consensus. I have both, and can't tell them apart.

Tag

Can anyone recommend a speaker that sounds good with a Two Rock amp and also a Marshall Plexi. I am looking to replace a Vintage 30 that's in a Bogner Cube .

You should be more specific and state the Emerald Pro is the model. It likes TOTALLY different speakers than the newer non hrm TwoRocks. A closed back Mesa with G12H30s works great with the emmy, but is probably to bright for a Marshall. Its very hard because the TwoRock has a very smooth top end, and a Marshall a very harsh one. You need a darker speaker to smooth the Marshall like a Greenback, but that will sound kind of dead with the TwoRock. I would suggest a different cab and speaker ciombination for each amp.

Trending Topics