Speaker for Ampeg Gemini I

Mr. Bertha

I'm looking for a speaker recommendation for an old Ampeg Gemini I. It's an old amp that's had some work done on it to brig it back to life. It's been converted to 6l6 power tubes and one of the transformers was replaced by my tech years ago. It's got some of the bouncy fender surfy vibe in an overall darker, more syrupy package. I've currently got a well worn Jensen c12k in it. What I like about that speaker is that the highs are never harsh. The downside is that the lows can be a little overwhelming in such a dark amp and sometimes it doesn't cut with a band given the overall output volume.

I'm not married to 'American' voices speakers, though I'm open to them. My short list right now is Fane F70, Celestine Creamback or maybe even an alnico Jensen of some sort. I'm not generally crazy about V30s, but I acknowledge that it might be just what I need.

Lastly, I play mostly clean, sometimes with light fuzz -- think muff with the sustain all the way down.

Northerner

Really liking the Gold in mine (Thanks Mark!) but it's dead stock otherwise so don't know about 6L6s.
Heard good things about Blues in these but I'd be a bit worried.
Creamback is what I'd try if I wasn't so happy with the gold.

Last edited:

Samsun19

Mine loves the Scumnico.... (like a Vox Silver Bell, pretty sure was on the Beano record) Really sweet clean, and the break up is old school, more bark than bite.

Mr. Bertha

Ok. I see two votes for the Ceramic Blue Dog. That's encouraging. Anything I should be aware of with the cbd? Is it really bassy? Really bright? Harsh breakup? Good mids? That kind of thing...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom