Speaker for Bassman that gets rid of the Bark?

alivegy

I have a 65 bassman that I play attenuated at pretty low-volume levels. It's pushing an openback 2x12 with a g12h30 and a vintage 30 that has to sit pretty close to the wall, since it's in my house. The amp has this upper middrange bark that I cannot get rid of no matter what I do, especially when close miced for recording, and even more so if I'm using a marshall voiced distortion pedal. The bark is there clean, and when the amp is pushed. So I'm think that the combination of overwound strat pickups + bassman + celestions is giving me midrange overload. I do not have this problem when playing the same guitar through a deluxe reverb so I'm thinking a speaker swap will cure it.

So I'm looking for something with great scooped fender tone with a nice lowend and chiming highs without sounding too shrill and without that honky midrange. Right now I'm leaning towards 2 Weber Ceramic California 12's with the paper cone. Sounding good at lower volumes is a must.

So what do the minds at tgp recommend?

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Believe it or not........a great speaker for the closed back Bassman or Bandmaster cab.........the Fender labeled Eminence 12's that are found in Blues Jr.'s,Hot Rod Deluxe,Devilles,etc. These speakers don't sound great in the modern Fender tube amps but do in the vintage ones; especially broken in and in closed back cabs. The prices are nice also.

ROKY

Lose the V30 and try another H30, maybe ?

OR .. look at some of the newer Eminence speakers.

Red White and Blues or Cannabis Rex would be good choices--actually,
for your situation(strat/overwound pups), I'd lean toward the RWB's

I like the Cannabis Rex's but my Bassman is the earlier Blonde Circuit.

--
Edit: I've read nothing but good things about the Weber Calis, so you may
as well try those, too.

Benlevy

I just plugged my 66? Bassman into a Bogner OS212, and wow! Changed the amp totally. Sounds fantastic!

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the reply, I'm using an openbacked cabinet though.

Sorry, I read that wrong...but being it's very close to the wall it's almost as if you're playing through a closed back cab. Weber 12F150T's at 50 watts each would work nice also.

alivegy

I was thinking about the Eminence RWB as well. The Cannabis rex sounds like it will probably be a bit darker than I want. Sooooooo many choices.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
A member came over a month back, tried two Scumbacks and got the Hendrix "Voodoo Chile" slow blues tone he was looking for. I'd recommend either H75's or an H75/M75 mix for your tone needs, though.

alivegy

I think I'm wanting to try something different from the British voiced speakers that I currently have, which is why I'm looking into something that replicates that vintage fender tone. Listening to your clips of the H75 with the strat it sounds great, but still has a bit too much of that mid emphasis that I'm looking to avoid. Right now i think I'm leaning towards the weber california, or a new Jensen C12N.

Last edited:

AL30

I think I'm wanting to try something different from the British voiced speakers that I currently have, which is why I'm looking into something that replicates that vintage fender tone. Listening to your clips of the H75 with the strat it sounds great, but still has a bit too much of that mid emphasis that I'm looking to avoid. Right now i think I'm leaning towards the weber california, or a new Jensen C12N.

I dropped some Jensen C12N's into my Quad Reverb. Big improvement over the stock Utah's (what isn't?). I like 'em. I know they don't get much press around here but I think they are a good overall speaker. They smoothed out nice once they were broken in and my amp sounds like a Fender. No complaints.

AL

scott1568

I have a '67 Bassman that I have the same gripe about. Overall, I love the amp, but I am trying to find a tweak to get rid of this. An EQ pedal didn't help.

I currently use a 2 x 10 vented cab with an Emi Ragin Cagin and Copperhead. The setup seems to induce that Fender Blackface ear fatigue, and I would like to find a better setup as well.

gemmill

someone else already suggested it, but definitely lose the v30. when i had a split h30/v30 cab, i couldn't hear anything but bark. h30's only (or better yet, c12n's) should help out.

alivegy

Thanks for the input so far everyone, and scott, nice to know I'm not alone. The frequency graph of the c12n intrigues me. It looks like it has a natural scoop in the mids before you get a bright chimey high end emphasis. Ah decisions.

gemmill

Thanks for the input so far everyone, and scott, nice to know I'm not alone. The frequency graph of the c12n intrigues me. It looks like it has a natural scoop in the mids before you get a bright chimey high end emphasis. Ah decisions.

that sounds about right.

alivegy

So I just did the scientific thing of going the celestion site and listening to their clips of the speakers that I'm currently using. I instantly recognized the tone problems that I'm battling, especially with the g12h30 since that is the one I usually mic. So at the moment i'm still torn between the jensen and the weber califonria. The jensen because from it's description it sounds like what I want, and the weber because a lot of my favorite blues tones have come from twins, not to mentions ted's recommendation.

alivegy

I ended up going with the Jensen because I could buy them locally. I'm pretty happy so far, still breaking the speakers in and finding the right settings. They are an instant step forward for the tone that I'm looking for with more of an emphasis on the high's and less on the uppermids with a nice deeper bottom end.

Top Bottom