1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker for BF Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johan, Jun 15, 2005.

1. johan

johan Member

Hi
    I have an all original 65 Deluxe Reverb which is a killer amp. Although the stock Oxford speaker is not as bad as it's reputation I think that amp deserves something better. What would you recommend? I find the amp a bit too shrill and not as warm/fat as I would like it to be. I have a stock 66 Super Reverb with alnico CTS and that amp is killer.

I use Tele's and Strat's (SCs) and some OD's (Zen, Tim, CJOD)

(sorry, I'm no fan of Celestion Blues)

2. raz

raz Member

...and they wouldn't be my choice for that anyway. I'm no expert on Deluxe's, but Celestion Blues I know. They're lovely speakers but to my ears they don't make the sound you want out of a Deluxe. Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but British-voiced speakers belong with British-voiced amps.

Seems to me most of the Deluxe afficianados I've heard from go with Jensen or Weber for speakers. Since you like the AlNiCo magnets on your Super, that's probably defining the "warm/fat" you want. Jensen and Weber both make American-Voiced AlNiCo speakers.

R
    A
    Z
    (Envying the hell out of your Deluxe)

3. johan

johan Member

:D

Some more pics for you...

http://web.telia.com/~u42235727/dr65/dr65.htm

Yeah, a Weber of some sort will probably be what Im looking for but there's so many to choose from.

Then there's the mighty Emi CRex :rolleyes:

4. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

I'm actually planning to do a “Deluxe Reverb Speaker Shootout” in the near future. I haven't amassed all the speakers yet so I can't make a recommendation. However, some of the top choices to consider are:

Eminence Red, White, and Blues
    Eminence Swamp Thang
    Reverend Alltone
    Weber 12F150

I'd be willing to bet one of those speakers would do it for you.

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

I don't know about the others mentioned above, but the Weber 12F150 is a great speaker for that amp.

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

Johan...I have a 64 Deluxe and after trying about 10 different speakers...I settled on an Eminence Cannabis Rex...it takes care of all the issues you mention...

I've tried Celestions...Webers...Jensen and vintage Jensens previous to the CR and now I think I'm done...the only other speaker that I would like to try is a Weber P12N...but its not really a priority...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. george4908

george4908 Member

I put a Weber P12N in my '68 DR about 8 years ago. Sounds great and have not been tempted to swap it out for anything else. Weber's C12N also gets good reviews.

8. alainguitars

alainguitars Member

I put a JBL in my silverface(blackfaced by David Allen) sounds great, no longer farts out at high volume.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

Yeah the P12N...maybe one day...!!

I had the Weber C12N...both the 25 and 50 watts version and I preferred the 25 watt version but it had its drawbacks as the bass didn't hold together as well as the 50 watter...but the highs in the 50 watter were a bit much...

The Crex smooths all that top end out and the bass holds together really well...very tight and punchy..

Chow,
    Seegs

10. MojoHand

Wow.... just got through looking at your pictures. Cripes, that thing is clean! You are a lucky man. Beautiful, simply beautiful...

11. johan

johan Member

Thanks alot guys!

Ted W recommended a C12N or a P12N but I don't know if I "need" it to be that vintage correct. Been listening to the Texas Heat and Swamp Thang clips but everything sounds good when Tomo is playing. I'll think about it. Maybe a Crex and a P12N and sell the one I don't keep.

Hi Mojohand. Like ole Fenders? Here's my 66 Super Reverb :D

66 Super Reverb

12. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Tone Tubby 12" in a TR-modded SFDR. I think it kills, although the high end attenuation sounds better at low volumes than at high. At high, it's a little like you've got a blanket over the amp, particularly when there's another amp next to it.

I've also just started running it into a TR 112 cab with a 65 12" (not the exact model name...). Also kills, but very different. I'm thinking the TR cab will be better if I have to turn the amp up, and the Tone Tubby better at lower volumes.

13. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I like the CRex in my '63 also. If you want to experiment even further, try 2x10's for a "mini VR".

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hi Johan, keep me in mind if the P12N loses and you want to move it ;)

Chow,
    Seegs

15. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

This mite be against the grain for some, but I like a V30 in mine.

Have tried:

TT Hemp: OK, a little dark/dull
    GB 25: kind of cool
    GH1230: did not care for it

Have not had any of the more commen, Jennsen type stuff to try.

CC

16. MojoHand

Johan, I love old Fenders.:D Yours are just so amazingly immaculate. Most of the ones I see are dusty and full of crud... rust and corrosion are not uncommon. To see examples that look like they just came out of the factory is impressive. I also love the fact that the rear control panel is in (Swedish? German?) and everything else is in English. They probably imported them into Europe, then changed the power transformer and back panel... Anyway, very cool stuff. I'm saving copies of your chassis photos as “textbook examples” of how it was done in Leo's day.

17. johan

johan Member

It's in Swedish

Hagström imported them to Sweden and sold them all over Scandinavia. Check the SR label, it even says Hagstrom.

The SR has a factory installed export transformer but the DR has a Hagström transformer. I wonder what happend to all the original transformers :rolleyes:

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks. Several friends... I recommend Red White & Blues,
    especially someone who likes C12N type tone. I like RW&B.
    The Governor sounded great too. The ST, TH those are great
    too! We need to buy more amps!

Tomo

19. johan

johan Member

Just placed an order on the Emi Cannabis Rex. Can't wait to try it out. Some people think the CRex is too dark or dull but my DR is kind of bright at low to medium levels then it gets fatter. And that's with the treble at 5. You can always get it brighter so I'm looking forward to try it out.

We'll see if it gets trhough the custom :rolleyes:

:hiP

20. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

For authentic Fender tone, the Weber is killer.

To smooth out and add mids, I put a Texas Heat in recently and that is working big time.