Speaker for Brownface Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by monkeyodeath, Aug 21, 2008.

1. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

Hi everyone, the sequel to my super reverb speaker question :)

Just wondering what you think would be a good replacement speaker for a '62 Fender Deluxe. It comes with the original speaker, but I don't want to blow it and I understand that they aren't all that highly regarded in the first place.

What's something good to swap in there instead?

2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

List sounds/songs/performers you like. I owned one and used an EV SRO to get Nugent tones. Very nice little amp.

DS

3. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I have a Red Fang in my Brown Deluxe (a 65 that was modded to Brown spec on the normal channel).

4. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

I wouldn't say that I have any particular target sound in mind besides something good...just wondering what people had tried and their experiences. I've heard the Allen Hot Fudge w/ Nuts demos done with a Celestion Gold on YouTube, and those sounded great, but haven't heard anything else, really.

5. Dexter.Sinister

EV SRO is heavy alnico speaker with a smooth sound that takes everything amp throws at it without caving in. So never mushy. Reproduces amp and guitar sound well, with slightly sweetned top end and slightly rounded corners. Like blunt projectile. Very good speaker with Deluxe, but can sticks out back of cab somewhat. And heavy. But great sound (listen to old Nugent and hear this combination a lot with Gibson Byrdland hollowbody guitar).

DS

6. frank62

frank62 Member

7. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

love the suggestions, guys - keep 'em coming! Is it the "coffee can" SRO that you think is the ticket? Do these increase the amp's headroom?

8. Dexter.Sinister

SRO: Yes and yes.

Also, while I love a greenback (G12M), it caves with a cranked brown Deluxe. Also, greenback better in closed cab, IMO. If ytou want that route, get Scumback with higher rating.

DS

9. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Member

I have a 61 that I recently finished overhauling. It has a Weber ceramic Blue Dog that's
    now pretty well broken in. I like it.

10. sabby

sabby Member

I like how Browns sort of straddle the American-British divide. I'd go with a speaker that does the same, like the Emi Texas Heat or a Weber 12F150B. Otherwise I'd commit to one end of the spectrum or another: a Blue or G12H-type (Scumnico/Scumback), or a C12N-type (RW&B/12F150).

I love EVs if you're looking for BIG uncolored tones, though.

11. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

12. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

How do you think a Tone Tubby would compare to the aforementioned speakers? I read on another thread that someone liked them...for that kind of money though, is it that much better than the other ones suggested here?

13. ThinSkiner

ThinSkiner Member

I put an original P12R in mine and it made a world of difference. It had an Oxford in it that didn't sound too bad either but the Jensen really made the amps sound great!

14. Dexter.Sinister

Yeah, I replaced the Oxford with an SRO and never looked back. The Oxford chokes the amp.

DS

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I want to try an SRO in mine. Mine is a clone built by Brown Deluxe master Shad Damron of Quinnamps and it is a bit warmed up to do ZZ Top tones. It has a master so I can get the juice at reasonable volumes. I have tried two different G12Hs (Celestion and Scumback), V30, two Greenbacks (chinese and English) and a Century Neo Vintage in mine. The winner was the Chinese Greenback. Now, keep in mind that I play mine pretty much wide open all of the time, with the master at about 3. At that level of gain and volume the Greenback gave the most satisfyingly greasy, midrangey, ZZesque tone. The single GB does not have a ton of bottom end though, I admit that. I also run it into a V30-G12H Avatar 2x12 but I feel that has too much low end. I also push mine with a modded SD-1 used as a clean boost. It is pretty amazing how much crunch you can get out of this circuit.

Mike

16. surfshack

surfshack Member

original C12N , or tone tubby......or maybe a celestion blue

17. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I like alnico speakers in brown Fenders. For a deluxe I would go with a Jensen; a P12P or P12N.

18. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

These suggestions are great. The SRO sounds really cool, but they seem really hard to find...I'm not sure how long I want to stick with this Oxford while I wait for an SRO to show up.

19. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Check out the Weber ALNICO Michigan. No need for tracking down an SRO in good shape.

20. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I have been juggling with what speaker to put in my brownface deluxe. I gig it in a couple of different applications, one in a jazz/R&B/hiphop group where a blackfacey clean tone is the most important, one in a blues group where volume and blues tone is the most important, and one in a funk/r&b group where I need a good combination of great clean sounds and nice vintage overdrive sounds (which is pretty easy for this amp).

I have been having a very hard time deciding between the following speakers:

Jensen C12Q/N
    Jensen P12Q/N
    Weber Blue Dog, both ceramic and alnico
    Cele Greenback
    JBL D-120F

I have an Eminence Red Fang in there right now. It has a nice O/D tone but the clean tone leaves something to be desired. It needs to be turned up. I like being able to bump the tone/treble control up to get a sparkly clean with this amp, and when I do it with the fang, it is piercing. The blue dog has a better top end, in my opinion, but I don't know if it will be the most versatile. I definitely need maximum versatility.

What would fellow tpgers recommend for my situation? My guitar is an Artinger with SD59s, and I'll be putting either a P92 or a HD Z90 in the neck.