1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Speaker for DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pdavidso, May 20, 2011.

1. pdavidso

pdavidso Silver Supporting Member

I've got a DRRI, and it suffers from the typical DRRI issue being super bright at low volumes. I've replaced the tubes with JJ's which made it sound better. Currently I have a Weber Alnico in. I haven't clipped the bright cap yet, because I'm a little nervous to completely rip it apart. But I was wondering, what would be a good speaker to darken it up a bit, preferably something that a quieter speaker, as I can only get the volume up to between 2 and 3.

2. blackba

blackba Member

First try running through the normal channel, it doesn't have a bright cap and you can get an idea what removing the bright cap will do on the normal channel.

As for a dark speaker, a Celestion G12-65 or WGS ET-65 might work, not sure how it will sound. I would guess a WGS G12C would be a nice fit.

3. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

The "classic" solution many people have mentioned here on the gear page is to use an Eminence Cannabis Rex in a Deluxe Reverb. Seems to moderate the ice-picki-ness.

In my mind the brote cap is the problem you are experiencing. Especially when you mention that the problem is wirse at low volumes. That is exactly how the brite cap makes an amp behave. At the lowest volumes the brite effect will be most noticeable, becoming less and less noticeable as the vol is turned-up higher.

Me, I would clip the cap..but many have praised the C-Rex....and it is not super expensive to try....

4. StratTone

StratTone Member

To me the Jensen c12k that they come with is the perfect speaker for that amp.

5. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

I don't fin the RI to be too bright at all, but if the A150 is for you, the F150 would definitely be a bit darker and a big improvement over the RI Jensen which kind of fart out at higher volumes.

6. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Mine came to me with a Red, White, and Blues, which fairly warm, has nice tight lows, and breaks up fairly smoothly. I have also tried my favorite EVM12L, which sound REALLY smooth, clear, and balanced (not too bright, even at low volumes on the Normal channel), it's just damn heavy and I like the portability of the DRRI with a steel framed speaker. I can't compare to any Alnico stuff at the moment.

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I retracted my post because I just tried the drri through the C Rex cab again, first time in quite awhile, and with the guitar I liked least with it, and I have to admit, I'm beginning to see some cannabis rex light. I guess it's finally breaking in.

8. pdavidso

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems like clipping the bright cap is pretty important and I might try the C Rex.

9. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

10. Octafuzz40

Octafuzz40 Member

I agree. Just picked up a new one and I'm not feeling the "ice pick" qualities of this amp at all. I'm really enjoying it. It does have a lot of highs, but also some booming lows too. In fact, that's what surprised me the most--it's positively huge on the low end. Definitely scooped in the mids, which I appreciate. I'm happy w/ the stock speaker--assume it will only get better w/ age.

11. Octafuzz40

Octafuzz40 Member

I may eventually clip the bright cap on my DRRI, but I doubt it. I've picked up an A/B box (thanks to this1smyne) and switch between the two channels. Vibrato for cleans or really low overdrive tones, normal channel for medium to heavier overdrive. As I don't like reverb with middle to heavier overdrive, this solution works pretty well. I think the bright clip mod is a bit over-rated, but, to be sure, the vibrato channel sounds terrible w/ medium-to-higher gain pedals.

12. StratTone

StratTone Member

Yeah I don't get the bright complaints on this amp either. Now I'm sure it will be bright with a les Paul or bridge pickup on a tele or strat but that's about it for me. I never use just the bridge pickup on a strat and on the tele I just roll the volume or tone down a little. I also never really play a humbucket guitar through it either.

13. pdavidso

I clipped the bright cap and sounds way better, much better pedal platform.

14. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I have one with a Cannibus-Rex, and I use it with a Gretsch 6120, PRS SE-EG with SD Everything Axe Pups, and a Frankenstein Tele with P-90s. The amp works well with all of them. The only guitar I have that does not seat well is my PRS Santana III.

Cant remember what Jensen came with it originally, but it was loud and brittle. It served its purpose better in a 1976 Pro Reverb. The darker sound of that hemp cone does wonders. Also I run the treble at 6 and the bass at 4 which is a pretty warm setting.

What I dont' get is why everyone puts a super heavy weight duty speaker in a low watt amp. To me it makes it all moot, you just as well get a Pro, Super or Twin. And yes I have those as well....

15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've had two. The first had the Jensen. Sounded great.

the second had the "fender special design"... BUT it was 15 years old and well broken in.

It sounded FANTASTIC!

I've also heard one with an alnico tone tubby. Very nice indeed.

16. blackba

blackba Member

Good move. :)

17. candid_x

This was my only real objection to the P64 SSll speaker, while rated for only 50 (or 65?) watts, it had a hefty magnet, which I try to avoid more with each passing year. A more typical 38 oz mag (or less) speaker keeps the DR more portable.

18. candid_x

Using which speaker, and what about the cleans?

19. pdavidso

I still have my Weber 12A125. Sounded good with cleans too (though I didn't play with it clean much), had a better overall balance. At this point, I'm planning on keeping my current speaker in it, removing the bright cap was enough to satisfy my needs.

20. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I tried a JBL K120 and also a JBL D120-F in a princeton reverb and it sounded killer to me. True, the amp is low wattage, and the speaker is heavy-duty,,,,but it sounded amazing to me!

So, with removed brite-cap I could imagine that a Deluxe reverb with a JBL would be great..heavy..yes...but...to me it would be worth it!