Speaker for Gries 5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tommc, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tommc

tommc Member

I bought a Gries 5 here on TGP and I quite happy with it except for the speaker. It came to me with a Weber Sig 12 (that's all I know about the speaker from it's label) replacing the stock Tonkerlite. I changed to an Eminence Red Fang alnico I had laying around and I like it much better. However, I don't think it's the approriate speaker for an amp that's delivering blackface/tweed crunch tone. I haven't seen much good press for the Jensen reissues or the Fender 'Special Designs' that many people pull from their new Fenders. Maybe a Weber from the vintage series? Looking for your suggestions for a 12 inch, low wattage, Fender-like speaker. And, if you happen to have a good candidate for sale, PM me with specs and price.

I know there are quite a few threads on this amp, but not much discussion of speakers.

Thanks for comments.

2. Dave

Dave Member

I like the Tonkerlite in my Gries 5 quite a bit actually, I think it's a pretty good match for that amp. If you're not interested in the Tonkerlite then maybe a Weber 12F150 would do it for you.

3. tommc

tommc Member

Dave - your right, the Tonkerlite is the logical choice since that's what the creator of this fine amp chose to use. I've never heard one. What makes me hesitate is that the description refers to a British sound which doesn't seem 'right' for this amp. Also, your Weber suggestion is exactly the one I was thiinking about.

I suspect most users are happy with the Tonkerlite, since there is little discussion of a speaker change. I guess I should start there.

Let's see what other comments come in.....

4. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

12F150....here sounds super!!! and one hell of a amp!!!! Oh u also get great customer service from Dave!!!;)

5. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I also like the Tonkerlite it came with and I think of the sound as Fendery, not British. Maybe when you dial the tone stack out ... Further agreeing with Dave's choices, I also prefer the original JJ preamp tube to a pricey NOS tube that I tried.

6. jay66

jay66 Member

I tried a Celestion Blue in my Gries 5 for a while and it sounded quite good but it was a bit too bright sounding. In the end I went back to the Man O War the amp came with I like that one best. I put the Blue in my Budda, sounds great in there.