Speaker for high gain/extended range AND vintage sound

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
Looking for a speaker for 1x12 cab just for house duty to share between a plexi head and a high gain head. Trying to conserve space up in here.

Something that won't sound ridiculously out of place with either amp. I would like a nice tight bottom end though, as I don't have anything that'll hold together real well at the moment.

I was considering:

EVM 12L
Celestion G12K-100

Bonus points for a Neo in case I want to ever shlep this thing around with my way f*cked up back. I fear the EV, but I guess no biggie with a hand cart.

Thanks doods and doodettes

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I like a steamboat hemp 100. Vintage celestion g12-80 refurbished with a tone tubby hemp cone. Big tight bottom, nice mids and a smooth top that's never ice picky. Handles high gain and plexi tones no sweat

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
Man, that sounds like an awesome option! Never heard of them.

And it's green!

Ordered!

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The Jensen Tornado Neo sounds awesome and has just a little more mids than a normal Jensen. You won't believe it weighs less than 5 lbs!

Geeze

Check out the Scumback M75 series 25/65/100 watt versions - classic tone. I'd considered the EVM12L - one of my JTM45 clones loves them but the weight is an issue. Tried the M75 - wow I like it.

Rivera does speaker shootouts. You may find a tone you are looking for -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

Russ

Geeze

I build a 2x12 thiele style cab and have a Celestion Gold and the M75 in it. For me it sounds great loud with lots of distortion - Sabbath / LZ / VH / Metallica. I don't have any high gain amps - I use an Empress Heavy in conjunction with a Bogner Blue for tweaks into a JTM45 clone with KT66's. One of the things I like best about this pairing is I get to dial IN bass. Most times I have to dial it out.

Russ

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
Jensen Tornado - I have the regular Jensen Neo in a current (and past) Fender clone and love it. I've been wanting to try the Tornado for awhile. Eventually I will, but the Celestion A-type really has me curious for that amp.

M75 - That's actually the speaker (65-watt) I have in the cab we're talking about here. It actually sounds very good (stellar with the plexi), I'm just looking to see if I can get a little tighter in the low end. Could be the cab I suppose. We'll see. I've had a number of M75's over the years in different amps. Arguably my favorite speaker!

trailrun100s

Jensen Tornado - I have the regular Jensen Neo in a current (and past) Fender clone and love it. I've been wanting to try the Tornado for awhile. Eventually I will, but the Celestion A-type really has me curious for that amp.

M75 - That's actually the speaker (65-watt) I have in the cab we're talking about here. It actually sounds very good (stellar with the plexi), I'm just looking to see if I can get a little tighter in the low end. Could be the cab I suppose. We'll see. I've had a number of M75's over the years in different amps. Arguably my favorite speaker!

Scumback H75...I have a plexi and a PWE. Sounds awesome through either amp.

DaveKS

Man, that sounds like an awesome option! Never heard of them.

And it's green!

Ordered!

Be sure to post back after you get it broken and home/gig tested. I've always loved the hemp effect, be nice to hear your impressions in your application. :wave

High powered hemp ain't many choices out there, weber Amsterdam and these.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I'll add that I have used tone tubby speakers in a few amps/cabs. I really like them a lot when they break in but at first there was a "ripping paper" sound underneath the playing at first with od. Went away after they broke in though. The steamboat did not have any weirdness out of the box which is great. If you haven't used hemp coned speakers just know that they take much longer to break in since it is so much stronger. Loud too!

Heady Jam Fan

I like a steamboat hemp 100. Vintage celestion g12-80 refurbished with a tone tubby hemp cone. Big tight bottom, nice mids and a smooth top that's never ice picky. Handles high gain and plexi tones no sweat

I don't play much high-gain, but this is what I use in both my amps: Blackfaced Deluxe Reverb & Mesa Boogie Mark III. Sounds fantastic (and I'm a speaker geek).

As far as a more moderate EVM12L replacement, I also have an EV Force 12 with a hemp cone. The Force is just slightly heavier than a typical guitar speaker, while maintaining the voice of the EVM12L. It has slightly less bass, which I really like, and the hemp cone tames the overly-extended treble (sizzle). I rarely use it, because the Steamboat sounds better for my style and cuts through much better in a live situation, but if I want the classic Mesa>EV sound, the Force gets me there without the ridiculously heavy EVM12L. If I were playing a small bar in a 3-piece band and I didn't want to bring my pedalboard (just guitar and the multiple channels on my Mesa), I'd consider using the Force 12.

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
That EV Force looks like a good alternative. I wasn't aware of their Force line.

Does it come stock with a hemp cone?

Last edited:

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I have an eminence swamp thang in my 1x12 open back cab and it sounds good for everything from Cream to Slayer. The cab itself has something to do with it to of course.

Heady Jam Fan

That EV Force looks like a good alternative. I wasn't aware of their Force line.

Does it come stock with a hemp cone?

No, hemp is not stock. The first EVM12L I ever had was re-coned with hemp, and it was my favorite EVM12L. The ones with the stock paper cone have a bit more upper treble than a guitar needs IMO, so there is a bit too much 'sizzle.' The hemp cone tames that a bit and smooths the tone out.

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
So who does one call for a hemp job of one's speaker?

Might be useful info for future reference.

I bet those hemp cones are indestructible.

Pole With Soul

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for a speaker for 1x12 cab just for house duty to share between a plexi head and a high gain head. Trying to conserve space up in here.

Something that won't sound ridiculously out of place with either amp. I would like a nice tight bottom end though, as I don't have anything that'll hold together real well at the moment.

I was considering:

EVM 12L
Celestion G12K-100

Bonus points for a Neo in case I want to ever shlep this thing around with my way f*cked up back. I fear the EV, but I guess no biggie with a hand cart.

Thanks doods and doodettes

Eminence Tonker..

Heady Jam Fan

So who does one call for a hemp job of one's speaker?

Might be useful info for future reference.

I bet those hemp cones are indestructible.

They are pretty heavy duty. I love my Steamboat Hemp 100, which is a G12-80 with a Tone-Tubby Hemp Cone. I don't know who reconed the EVM12L that I used to have. I'll PM you about my EV Force.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I like the Scumback J75 which sits right between the M and H. Nice and tight and sounds perfect with everything.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom