Speaker for Jubilee Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vmixer, Mar 20, 2008.

1. vmixer

vmixer Member

I play a Strat (traditional single coils) through a Marshall Jubilee. Mine is a 2554 1x12 50w combo. I got it with a G12-65 in it (I belive they originally came with V30s) and I find it too rolled off in the highs and not enough lows. Just SUPER midrangey. Now, I don't want "brittle" highs (who would? :)), but I'd like a little more sparkle on top without having to crank the treble and presence and also more projection and impact in the low end, since it's an open back combo. What would be a good speaker to try. I've listened to the sound clips on the Scumback site and I like the M75, but I'm worried it might be too bright and not enough low end. Thoughts? I play rock and blues and probably identify most with guys like Hendrix and John Frusciante in terms of Strat/Marshall tone.

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

The cheaper solution would be the Warehouse speaker Veteran 30 or Green Beret.

The normal price solution would be a Celestion Vintage 30 or Greenback.

If you're looking for bass response....I'd suggest and extension cab with greenbacks.

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You'll want an H55 speaker with the 65 or 100 watt power handling.

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I agree. :dude

That's the speaker I got from Jim for my 1X12 openback cab. GREAT tones.

5. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

I owned one of those 2554 combos. It had a V30 in it. Never sounded right until I got my 2x12. Jubilee's are already very midrangy and can be ice picky when not cranked. When your pushing it all through one speaker it gets worse.

6. vmixer

vmixer Member

Thanks for the comments. I agree a cab is probably the way to go long term. I'm thinking seriously about getting a 1x12 closed back cab to go with it.

I listened to the H55 clips too, the highs sounded a bit rolled off -- plus what I've got now, that's not working out, is a G12-65 which one description says the H55 is a strong version of. Would it have more highs and lows in comparison to a well broken in G12-65? I'm not looking for a scooped tone per se, just more range, a wider soundstage.

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The H55 is not a strong version of the G12-65. The H75-LHDC is a strong version of the G12-65, and will have more bass, slightly less mids, plus more treble, but it's a silkier/smoother treble than the H75.

The LHDC has a large dust cap, so it takes the edge off the highs, just like your G12-65, but since it's got more highs and lows, it's going to have more treble than your G12-65.