Speaker for Kendrick Gig Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonehead, Feb 16, 2008.

1. tonehead

tonehead Member

Hey, this is JohnnyD. I am new here. Need some speaker input. Have a Kendrick Gig Rig that I recently bought used for a great price. Amp sounds really good, but it has a 16 ohm 100 watt Fane alnico and the amp calls for an 8 ohm load. I have been looking at a lot of speakers: Weber Thames, Silver Bell, and 12F150; Eminence Tonker and Texas Heat; Kendrick Brownframe. I play traditional blues, usually with an early 60's Strat and a Hwy 1 Tele. I like the clarity and presence of the Fane, though it can be a bit "spikey" when I am bending with a hard attack on the E or B string. I have no idea how different an 8 ohm version of the same speaker would sound in this amp. I would like to get something similar to the tone the Fane gets, but maybe with a little more early breakup, and a bit more "Jensenlike" warmth.

So, if you have had any experience with a Kendrick Gig Rig or with the aforementioned speakers in a good tuibe amp, fire away. The Gig Rig is 35 watts and pretty loud; I hear that it peaks at close to 80 watts sometimes.

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Call Gerald at Kendrick.He's always been easy to talk to and very helpful.
    Beyond that,call Jim at Southbay Ampworks.His Scumback speakers are a Godsend to a lot of folks including me.You have an awesome amp there.
    Good luck with it.:BEER

3. tonehead

tonehead Member

Hey, thanks for the advice. I called Gerald Weber and he recommended the Kendrick Brownframe which is what he puts in the K Spot now that the Fane alnico's have become unavailable (what is going on there?). He is pretty cool dude to talk to and a library of knowledge. I wish I had a chance to hear one of those Brownframe's firsthand. Gerald says they are warm and still pretty punchy. The speaker seems to be getting good press from some folks on the gear page.

I keep hearing about those Scumback speakers. I need to check this out. Which one do you have and in what amp?

JohnnyD

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I used to have a Gig Rig with a Fane. I think a Celestion Heritage G1265 would sound great in the amp and handle the power.

5. tonehead

tonehead Member

Thanks for the tip. Did you actually switch out the Fane for the Celestion in that amp? I tried it with a Vintage 30 I had in the basement (purchased back in early 1980's) and it sounded too midrangy, almost muddy. Not that familiar with the Celestion G1265; I will do some research. Do you know if it is anything like Weber's Silver Bell Ceramic?

6. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Hi Tonehead. I sent you a PM...