Speaker for smoother top end...nice and warm too ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JohnK24, Oct 30, 2005.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I've had the Cannabis Rex (way too smooth, sorta killed the twang in my tele), Swamp Thang (current spkr. - seems spikey in the treble and a tad too much rumble when volume is pushed), Alltone 1250 (great, but silly me sold it), Vintage 30 (nice for overdrive tones, but sucked on cleans)...this is all in a BLues Jr.

So, I'm thinking a "silky" treble and warmer overall mid and bottom..blues and jazz and this might come from a Celestion Greenback or Emi Private Jack ? Being british I'm sure the EL84s would do better with the british cones, no ? I guess I'm seeing myself stepping away from the Emi Patriot series and that Fender/Jensen speaker and thinking more Celestion tone.

I'd like the speaker to have a little wool on the bottom end, doesn't have to stay tight (I don't play classic rock or metal)...I like that warmth. The highs need to have some presence, but not icepicks...again "silky" if that's a good term ?

Ok gang, what do you think ?

Thanks,

JK

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You did a pretty good description of my H75 speaker. Do a search on the TGP for SA12H75 or Scumbag or Scumback, and you'll find lots of comments about it. If you'd like you can email me to discuss, or shoot me your phone # and I'll call you to see if it's really what you're looking for.

Good luck!

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

unquestionably celestion G12H30 , a superlative speaker.

4. Timster

Timster Member

try a Harry Joyce Schultz speaker. Like a greenback but with a sweeter top end and can handle 100 watts. My favorite speaker

I have some in the emporium for cheap :)

these go new for $200

5. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Eminence Private Jack

6. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Hey Timster, how does that Harry Joyce speaker compare to a G12H30?

7. Luke V

Luke V Member

Check out the Scumbacks, great speakers.

8. retro

retro Member

Here's some Watford Valves comments from their speaker's test.
    My experience agrees with their comments.

"The G12H is made to the exact specification of the original which was the standard speaker used in the 70's Marshall cabinets with the 'h' standing for heavy magnet.
    The first thing that struck me was the immense warmth of the speaker. It was well balanced and musical at low volume with the treble response silky smooth. When the volume was increased the speaker did not lose control, balance was perfect with the treble still smooth tight and chrisp. With the gain wound right up with humbuckers full on the speaker provided a rich harmonic treble with touch responsiveness that would normally only be associated with an alnico speaker.
    The speaker provides a sweet singing sustain that was very musical and in no way harsh. The speaker has a very tight bass response with smooth cut and clarity which was equally at home with single notes or power chords.
    This is one of the best Celestion ever made in my opinion and with no faults whatsoever.
    It has the warmth and soul we all look for in a speaker and is fantastic in a Marshall 4 x 12.
    This is a great choice as an up grade for all guitar applications"

"The 'greenback' was used most in Marshall cabinets in the late sixties early 70's. The speaker produces a blurring effect in the bass and mid frequency when the amp was used at high volume in the clean mode with single coils. The treble seemed on the edge of break up without going over in full distortion. Introducing humbuckers, the speaker produced a rich harmonic wall of sound. Note definition was loose with the mid range higher in the musical spectrum. The greenback has immense warmth as provides rich sustain. In rolling off the tone on the guitar and turning up the volume and playing some blues licks the speaker began to sing the famous woman tone was all there. The bass is warm and full but definition and tightness demanded by today's rock player is not its strong point. The Celestion is a great blues speaker which gives that classic 70's Led Zeppelin Free sound."

9. Timster

Timster Member

they sound nothing alike - the G12H30 has this high end shrill that I hate. The lows are decent with that speaker, but the highs just doesn't work for me. The Harry Joyce, on the other hand, has a nice, sweet top end comparible to an alnico type speaker. It 's overall a very well balanced speaker, not peaking in any particular frequency. Like I mentioned, it's like a high wattage greenback.

10. Timster

Timster Member

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I agree with both of those descriptions.. Oh yea I've given them almost word for word before! Anyway, there's no comparison , totally different speakers. ERIC

12. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Timster.

13. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

No love for the "new" Eminence Red, White. and Blues? Seems like it sits right in between the Cannabis Rex and the Swamp Thang, and it's been compared to the Weber California (if I read ALL the threads right) as far as NOT coloring your original tone, having tight bass, sweet mids, and nice (not spikey) stinging highs. Loves pedals as well, according to the Tonequest review. Also, if I wasn't "dreaming" by the time I finished reading the 1800 post (give or take a few) Emienence speaker thread, I beleive more than one stated that the Emienence Red, White, and Blues did add a little silkiness to the tone.
    I have a couple of the Red, White, and Blues on order for my newly acquired Silverface Super Reverb 2 x 12, which is currently loaded with some sort of black frame Emienence speakers. Sounds pretty decent as is, (now that I've re tubed it) but I'm sure the Red, White , and Blues will work well, especially with my Zendrive and Les Paul loaded with a 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge.

Chuck