Speaker for TA-15... Gold, or ...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Strat_lover, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

Hey guys,

This may need to go in the strings and things section, but figured it may fall under cabs...

I've had a TA-15 head for a while, and like the amp. It is also the only amp capable of "Voxy" sounds on my arsenal.

I've been running it through various cabs, mainly an older 1x12 widebody mesa with the EV12L in it, but recently got a line from a friend for an unloaded TA-15 cab for a good price.

I prefer to run the amp on either the normal vox channel or the tweed channel, both set to the edge of breakup, and run my pedal board in front. I don't use it as a traditional channel switcher, it's more a pick a channel for the band/song and treat it as a platform. Only dirt pedal is a Boss Keeley Blues Driver, and an MXR 6 band for boosting mids and volume. At volume, this gets me into a decent amount of gain for classic rock/blues levels.

So, my first thought when thinking of speakers, with the emphasis being on the Vox tones for this amp, was a Celestion Gold. However, they are just so expensive. I've also looked at the equivalent offerings from Weber (Blue Dog) and WGS (Blackhawk). The Weber seems like a good option, but still pretty pricy. The WGS has the right price, but there are very limited reviews out there.

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers, or can throw any other suggestions out there that may suit it?

2. skunx

skunx Member

I liked the 25 watt alnico from avatar with that amp a lot especially on the tweed channel. I also think greenbacks sound great with the vox and middle gain (Marshall) side. I would love to try one of the avatar fane speakers with that amp. I think the M would really sound great with all modes.

blackba likes this.
  3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I just sold mine and ran these speakers-

Neo vintage - v30 is not the best with vox stuff, didn't like.

Eminence gb128 - sounded good a solid option.

Mesa cl80 - good pick

Between all of them I put one Mesa with the gb128, just sounded the best overall.

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I run my TA-15 with two different cabs: a 2x12 with a Scumback 75w 65m and Celestion Creamback H75, and an Avatar G112 Vintage with a Celestion Gold. I like to use all the modes on the amplifier, but not all sound great through the Gold IMO. As a matter of fact I only really like Top Boost and the Tweed modes through the Gold, but they sound amazing. As you might expect they sound quite different through the different cabs, but the OD tones from those modes go with the Gold wonderfully.

I don't have any experience with the mentioned Webers or the others however.

la noise likes this.
  5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I don't have much experience with the TA, but I love Mesa amps, and I can speak to some of those speakers.

The Weber is great, the thing is that there a tons of options that greatly affect how the speaker sounds. I've had a few, some of which were very bright and some of which were incredible dark. It got too dark when I wanted a high-power handling Gold: hemp cone and pre-rola dope did not pair well, IMO. Just make sure you pick the right options for your application.

Eminence Red Fang is another affordable option. I made a comparison with the Weber years ago, and it was warmer than the Weber that I thought was on the bright end.

The WGS is also great. I got a slightly customized version when they first came out (higher power handling Blackhawk). Despite the higher power handling, it remained articulate in the top end. I just couldn't afford to keep an Alnico speaker, and GAS got the best of me.

6. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I like the stock speaker in the TA 15 cab WTH it is , good sounding little amp.

7. High/Deaf

High/Deaf Member

I think the TA15 only came as a head, and I can't recall a TA cabinet. Do you possibly mean the TA30?

I've used my TA15 with a Thiele/EVM, a widebody cab with a C90 and a couple of 212's with various loadings. The speaker/cab have a lot to do with how the amp sounds. And there's so much variety in the amp, you have to tailor the cab to what you're going for.

If you like the Vox/Tweed voicings, I think a gold in an open back would be a great pairing. I've got a gold in my LSS - I may have to try it myself, because, you know, if I like it, I really need to buy more stuff (not).

8. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys!

A greenback hadn't occurred to me, that might be a good choice. I could see it working well for the tweed voicing.

I think since it's the most affordable of the British alnicos I've been looking at, I'll start with the Blackhawk. I don't really have much use for the higher gain modes, so if these types of speakers make the low gain modes shine I think I'll start there. Was just hoping not to have to drop $200 on a speaker.

My only concern would be how it would work under gain. I guess my gain levels probably top out at like Josh Smith levels of gain. I'm worried the alnicos may start getting a little spiky at that point. Thoughts?

9. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I've had a TA-15 for about 5 years now. It is a great amp. Went through about 7 or 8 different speakers and arrived at the G12M Greenback. It sounds great with all the modes and works in both open and closed back cabs (currently running it with the Transatlantic 19 cab, which came with a C90/Black Shadow, but I much prefer the Greenback).

10. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

11. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

I'm using a pair (side by side cabs) loaded with 12" Eminence Patriot "Mavericks" that have built in attenuation control. My set-up is home use only, mostly use the Vox settings on the amp, or the Tweed channel. Speakers go quite well with amp/head.

12. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I ran a 2x10 Gold cabinet for a while, but wound up settling on a Mesa MiniRec 1x12 closed back cab with a V30 (the Mesa flavor of the V30). I liked the tighter bass of the cab and thought it worked better for heavier sounds.

13. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Alnico... Alnico.... Alnico.... !! :aok

I have had a TA-30 for a few years now and love it.
    Really came alive and went to an entire new level
    when I paired it with an Alnico-based 4 x10 cab. :dude

14. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

That is the one big challenge with the TA-15 and TA-30, finding a speaker that brings out what you want in the amp. I did a shootout a few years back, is the thread:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/mesa-ta-15-cab-speaker-shootout.1606345/

Today I mainly use and opened back 212 with an MC90 and Eminence MS-12. Sounds great with that pairing.

For mainly the normal and Tweed modes, I would probably go with an American voiced alnico like the WGS G12A. I know the 'normal' is supposed to be British Voiced, but I was able to dial it in to sound closer to my Fender Bandmaster reverb, than I got the Tweed mode to sound.

la noise likes this.
  15. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

I will scroll through that thread, thank you!

Interesting to throw an American voiced alnico in the mix. I can see how the Vox channel would get you close to the bandmaster, I would say Vox is closer to a blackface sound than tweed amps are.

I will definitely consider that. In fact, I have a Weber P12Q clone (The Tweed Deluxe Speed Shop one) I may throw in the cabinet when I get it just to give it a listen.

blackba likes this.
  16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I am completely satisfied with my TA15 through a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog (30W; lightly doped) in an open-back 1X12. Perfect match for the Vox channel, very good for the Marshall channel (if you'd like to reverse this, order the Silver Bell instead).

17. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

I use my TA-15 with two different 1x12 cabs: 1 with a Gold, 1 with a Greenback. I love both of them. The Gold is a bit brighter and the more open of the two (it gives great sparkle to the Vox cleans in the TA), but the Green still sounds classic voxy, especially when cranking the Top Boost setting. You would not go wrong with either speaker. Both sound great with the American channel as well. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the Gold, but only by a hair.