speaker for Thomas Vox Cambridge Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MWaldorf, Apr 15, 2016.

1. MWaldorf

MWaldorf Member

I recently got a '67 Thomas Vox Cambridge Reverb. Great little amp with one issue - the stock Oxford Gold Bulldog speaker is tired, and the low frequencies get mushy.

I had the chance to try the amp with a few different speakers, first using the internal speaker with my Buckingham's 8 ohm 2x12" in the auxiliary, and then using a high efficiency neo 12" with the internal speaaker disconnected. As I suspected, much of the mush in the low frequencies is coming from the stock speaker.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a high efficiency 4 ohm 10" speaker? My preference would be for neo to keep the weight down (the primary reason I got the amp) but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Mel

2. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Member

Is the '67 a 10" speaker? My '65 was a 12" and sounded much improved with either a greenback or Blue

3. Chance

Chance Member

I have a '65 with a 10 inch speaker, I replaced mine with a Celestion Gold Alnico 10 inch speaker, I think it works great in that amp!

4. pbmw

pbmw Member

I would think a blue or a gold would give up the goods.

5. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Member

Hmm. Mine must have been modded long before it came to me. The 12" speaker I pulled out was not original itself, but it was from the late 60's. Anyways, still some green, blue, or gold flavor of celestion (or weber blue) would sound great