speaker gurus' help me out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PUMAMAN, Jul 7, 2005.

1. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Guys, I'm entering territory I know little about. I just picked up a Mesa DC-2 (25watt EL-84's) It's on it's way. Then, as luck would have it, I just scored a Mesa 2-12 vertical Top/open - bottom/closed cabinet unloaded dirt cheap.

My intensions are to use this set-up primarly at home in my studio at low volume. Looking for suggestions as to what speakers would get me closest to the things I'm looking for under these conditions.

Would like, as much as possible, clarity, articulate, SMOOTH, punchy, Sustain and responsive to pick attack.

Tall order I'm sure. I know speakers alone can't get me all that. But hopefully a wise choice would maximize this set-up for these conditions.

BTW the cabinet will need to be 8 ohms overall. And if it helps, my main guitar is a Thorn with Very clear punchy Fillmores or a Thorn with P-90's.

I will be VERY interested in any ideas you guys that know your speakers might have.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

I have the same question redarding a 50 watt Jubilee head.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have tried more then a dozen different speakers and have a dozen cabs or combos here now. I would think that a combination Celestion Blue and Scumbag SA-12/30-55. The Blue has the smoothest silkiest top end in the business. The Scumbag is articulate and clear strong low end no top end spike to interfere with the Blue. That would give you a 30 watt cab plenty for your 25 watt amp. Get two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for 8 ohm load.

4. el34power

el34power Member

hmmmm. I have greenbacks, red fangs, ceramic blue dog, Mesa Black shadow (cele classic lead 80). The Black shadow would get my vote on articulate and responsive to pick attacks...
    You could contact Ted Weber. He would surelly be able to point you in the right direction.. Like 908SSP is saying maybe the Weber silver bell/blue dog combo would be very nice..
    Do you know what is in the cab you are getting?

5. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

hmmm.. so should I put the speaker with the bottom end punch in the closed back part of the speaker? How about a Celestion G12H30 and a V30? Any other thoughts

Thanks

Kevin

6. el34power

el34power Member

That combo is a great seller at Avatar but.
    I love the "honk" of a greenback, that Woman from tokyo intro tone...

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I haven't done it myself, but I hear from others who have, that the Blue and SA12H-55 combo is a killer. If you put the 55 in the closed back part of your cab, and the Blue in the top/open back part, you'd have PLENTY of lowend available to you while retaining the nice chime and detail of the Blue...

8. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Thanks guys. You have given me some food for thought. I'll probably stay within the Celestion line as they are more available used. Although the blues and Scumbag combo sounds good. Thats more than I would like to spend on this set-up right now.

Kevin

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

Since it's for a bedroom, you may also consider a 1x12, or filling your cab with 1x12 and sealing off the whole next to it. More than one speaker will kill you for bedroom volumes, just because you got a good deal on the bottom you have doesn't mean it's perfect for that application.

10. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Depends on how important having the best possible tone is to you. I've had all the Celestions... it's Scumbacks for me from here on out. I've got two SA-12-75's in a 2x12, and yesterday I just ordered another SA-12-55 to swap in there to try for kicks...

The single speaker suggestion is a good one. Two speakers is overkill for small room playing. I think a single Scumback SA-12-55 would probably be an excellent choice for bedroom volume playing. Scumbacks already have that well-broken-in feel to them that lends them to sounding really decent at lower volumes, and I think the extra bass of the 55 hz cone would be really nice if your not pushing a ton of air through the speaker. Then again, one of the Scumback M-magnet speakers might be even better for you as it's less efficient than the H-magnet speakers. Bottom line is, for my tastes, Scumbacks just roll over on any of the current production Celestion stuff.

11. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Wow more great Ideas! Funny I never even considered the 1 speaker idea. I should get the DC2 next week. I have access to an 8 ohm V30 that I can try by itself. Should give me a clear idea how full the 1 speaker can sound in this cab. If that sounds decent than maybe I'll have to talk to that ol' sumbag:D

Thanks again guys,

Kevin

12. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

A V30 is also a good choice for single speaker use in a bedroom settings IMO.