Speaker Harness: Solder vs. Clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deandavis, Mar 15, 2015.

1. deandavis

deandavis Member

Hi all,

I'm thinking of replacing my '68 Fender Princeton Reverb speaker that's seen better days with a Weber 10F150T.

The current speaker is soldered to the wiring harness and it got me to thinking: when I replace the speaker, am I better to solder it or use clips like this:

[​IMG]

2. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Clips can break, get loose, or get pulled off. Still many amps use them these days but I think it is more of a cost cutting measure, and it also speeds up assembly. I guess it makes speaker changes easier... Personally I always solder my speaker leads, as an open circuit (caused by any of the failures mentioned above) can be quite hard on the output transformer. In my 30+ years of playing guitar I've only blown two output transformers, and both were due to an open circuit of some sort.

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have a test speaker cable with clips...when I'm done experimenting with speakers and am sure I've found the right one I solder it...

4. zenas

zenas Member

Solder is better. That said I have a 1974 Super Reverb that must have come with clips still using them. They don't make those slip on connectors like they used too though the new ones seem to spread out and get loose.

Is the speaker in your 68 Princeton starting to fart on the low notes? That can also be cause by running a filter cap can from 1968.

5. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

If I'm still trying to decide what speaker I want to pair with an amp or cab I use clips. Once I settle on something I solder it in for security. Just put a towel around the speaker though, as any solder drips will go right through the cone like a hot knife through butter.

I've never had damage, but have had speaker clips loosen and slip off over the course of time and moving the amp around a lot.

FWIW, that pic you posted looks like a Mojotones wiring harness. They have really wide clips that never seem fit speaker until you tighten them a lot with some pliers....Im not such a fan of that. Some wiring harness I've used have had smaller, very tight fitting clips stock and that seems sturdier to me.

6. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

That.

The clips crimp on easy, but are not a permanent solution IMHO.

7. blearyeyes

blearyeyes Member

Over fifty years of playing never had a clip come off for any reason...

8. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Clips. Unless you regularly throw your amps down the stairs or something

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  9. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

This, minus 30 years.

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Not had any trouble with spade terminals. Just be sure they are tight when you push them on... they loosen up or some are not tight to start with. Squeeze them a little with needle nose pliars. It was good enough for Leo....

Outlaw likes this.
  11. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

If you know you're not going to change the speaker out, solder it.

If you're a speaker-swapper, then spade terminals all the way.
    :beer