Speaker help for a VHT Special 6 ultra

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ken374, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ken374

ken374 Member

I'm looking for a replacement i wrote Warehouse speakers they recommended the the reaper for low wattage amps Quote: My favorite speaker with low wattage amps is the regular 30 watt Reaper. It has a very musical and articulate character that really adds some life to most every amp I've tried it with. The top end has a nice chime without getting harsh and it has a very well balanced mid range.

What about Eminance? prb wanna keep it ceramic for cost issues, thanks!

or wait to break in the stock chromeback?? my birthday is coming up so gotta have the girl friend buy me this important toy:)
    like:rock, classic rock, metal,sweet cleans,twang

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. Unadan

Unadan Member

I use my VHT Special 6 Ultra Head with either a 1x12 or 2x12 loaded with Vintage 30s. A great match in my opinion!

3. ken374

ken374 Member

did you ever hear the stock ones?

4. Unadan

Unadan Member

^No. I've never tried the Special 6 combo. I would go Celestion either V30 or Greenback for rock tones. Honestly the stock cromeback at least "looks" like a decent quality speaker with a large magnet. It might be worth keeping it around a bit longer and see if it breaks with nicer tones.

5. ken374

ken374 Member

Thanks for the help!

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

The Special 6 Ultra is a bit different (more gain) so I can't say how the Chromeback sounds with it, but I like the Chromeback with my Special 6. I have the 1x12 closed back cab and head and they sound great together to me.

7. ken374

ken374 Member

did the top end smooth out better over time?

8. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

Both cabinets and speaker mixes in my signature work fantastic with the Special 6 head. The amp sounds huge with a 2x12.

9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

It's never been ice picky. The S6 is a brighter amp and definitely is bit more edgy than my other amps, but it sounds fantastic; just different tone at my disposal. The VHT open back 1x12 that's part of the S6 line has a G12H-30 in it. I tried it and the closed back and I went with the closed back. It sounded better to me, which surprised me as I went in fully expecting to buy the open back. You might like it better than the closed back. You know the old saying about opinions... :rotflmao

10. ken374

ken374 Member

i have the combo

11. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

That's a different animal as it has a 10", right? Maybe try one of the 1x12s. You could always use the combo as a head when desired and you can still just grab the amp and go when you don't feel like messing with the 1x12. Keep in mind, the internal speaker is bypassed when you plug in a cabinet.

12. ken374

ken374 Member

12 inch, might get a wsg speaker or keep an eye on craigs

13. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I have a VHT (or Freyette, I forget) P-50 E 12" 16 ohm that would be a good match, at least according to one of the Freyette reps I spoke with a while ago. It's their take on a V-30. I don't use it anymore as I sold the cab it was in.

14. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Okay, I couldn't remember as it's been awhile since I tried the Ultra. Yeah, I guess just experiment. Perhaps I don't find it as bright because mine is in a closed back cab. That's definitely going to be a darker sound than the combo, I would think anyway.