Speaker help for a VHT Special 6 ultra

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ken374, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ken374

ken374 Member

Should i go with a low watt speaker for this 6 watt amp, like up to 50 watt Eminence Red Coat, theres a used one local or theres another one on ebay Eminence Red White and Blue handles 120 watt its for rock which im into any ways. The Red Coat Privite jack says more for blues, Indie,jazz 50 watt I like the british sound with pretty good amount of gain. Thanks again! Does the ohms make any diff. on the sound? can use either 8, or 16

2. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

i'd email eminence for advice if you've decided to go with them. just to make sure you're not getting something which is completely unsuitable.

3. ken374

ken374 Member

I hear ya, think the red white and blue might work its for rock

4. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

yeah but it might also be too dark with the vht

i haven't tried the ultra but i have the normal special 6

depends on what you want, of course. maybe you don't think it's already verging on too dark :)

5. ken374

ken374 Member

maybe like a v30, green back?

6. ken374

ken374 Member

stock has some nice low end but the top is raspy some, its a new amp and the speaker prb needs a lot of break in. I read that one guy bought there cab and replaced the speaker he said it was thin and harshy

7. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Tone is first and foremost, naturally. But when picking a speaker, it isn't so much power handling as it is sensitivity or sound pressure level (SPL). If the sensitivity is in the low 80's this amp may not push it.

8. ken374

ken374 Member

stay with 30 to 50 watts?

9. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

yeah i thought my 10" vht was thin and harsh too

i wouldn't worry overly about the wattage. just get a speaker that suits it.

i use mine with a 75 watt copperhead and 150 watt texas heat. they sound fine.

10. ken374

ken374 Member

the heats sound good in the clips, there pretty popular i might check into those

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  11. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

yeah it sounds pretty good

it is a darker-sounding speaker, though- i got the copperhead for the sparkly cleans, and then the heat so i had more body for when i was using dirt pedals with the amp

however the TH has quite a nice sparkle/treble too, and it does sound american.

But as i said, i'd probably email eminence just in case there's something which would be absolutely perfect for what you want. Most times when i emailed them I ended up with recommendations for things I hadn't even considered, while some of the things I had considered I was told wouldn't really be suitable.

12. ken374

ken374 Member

I did email them

13. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

I am using a Special 6 head. Both cabs and speaker mixes in my signature sound great with the amp. I would venture to say that any one of those speakers would sound great in a 1x12 cab as well.

14. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

oh ok :rotflmao

wait and see what they say, i guess. obviously just bear in mind they're only going to recommend eminence speakers. if you decide to go with a different brand, then that's absolutely fine :) Webers and the like are really dear in Europe, so for me if I want American-voiced speakers, it's pretty much Eminence or Jensen. I've heard better things about eminence than jensen, so I went eminence.

15. ken374

ken374 Member

theres just so many out there as you all know, unless you plug into 100 cabs to find out:)

16. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

yep, definitely. it's a similar thing to pickups, unfortunately. And even trying them out isn't always a lot of use, if it's in a completely different guitar (pickups) or cab (speaker) to the one you're putting it in, or you can only try it out with a completely different amp (speaker).

sooner or later you pretty much just have to bite the bullet and take a chance :(

17. ken374

ken374 Member

From Eminence:We have a ceramic version of the hemp cone, Canis Major, called Cannabis Rex. It is great for tightening up the bass and taming harsh highs

18. ken374

ken374 Member

Red, White and Blues is another good thought. It is very warm and smooth like Cannabis Rex, but with a bit less bass response and less headroom.

19. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

up to you :) from the sounds of it, either would work, just depends on which you like the sound of better (i haven't tried either of those).

personally i'd need a very good reason to go against their advice. I haven't bought tons of speakers or anything like that, but they were spot-on with my 2 recommendations.

20. ken374

ken374 Member

going to see how the stock sounds after a few weeks, i play it at my GF's on the week ends