1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker help for Peavey Classic 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BuddyGuit, Jun 18, 2006.

1. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I have a Peavey Classic 30. I think it sounds harsh so I saw a Weber Alnico Sig for sale on the group here. Any thoughts? I like the sound of my circa 1957 tweed champ.

Buddy

2. minesaguinness

minesaguinness Member

I still have a Classic 30 - I whipped out the Blue Marvel which had a bit of a "honk" to it - or whatever it is and whipped in a G12H30 - warms it up to a reasonable and useable degree.

The Classic 30 has a nice clean channel (non master) but I've never really benn able to get the dirty's I want out of it. Good little practive amp though - and it gets an outing to the odd pub jam here and there.

Cheers
    Brian

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I put a Jensen Neo in mine about 2-3 yrs ago. Great sound. Lots of rehearsals and a few handful of gigs, it delivers.

jon

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I put a Eminence Governor in my C30 and I couldn't be happier. Affordable speaker for the amp's price range and it sounds awesome. If we saw the same Weber ad, pass. The C30 is looking for 16 ohms not 8.

6. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I put a Greenback in mine a few years back and havn,t been dissapointed with it. I crunchs good an is nice and woody.JMO

7. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

8. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

I've heard the eminence gb12 is perfect with the classic 30, and its cheap too.

9. 1964

1964 Member

Hellatone 30 or Emi Wizard.

10. punx0r 1337i57

punx0r 1337i57 Member

I've been looking at replacing the speaker in my C30 too. It has icepick highs which are quickly fatiguing, plus it muffles the distortion a lot, and I'm trying to squeeze all the gain I can out of the amp. At the moment, I have it hooked up to some cheap bookshelf speakers, and it sounds much better than the Blue Marvel in it, but that is hardly a permanent solution.

I'm looking most closely at the Eminence Man O' War at the moment. Any thoughts on that?

11. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I use a Weber Blue Dog. And for icepick highs, try a Weber beam blocker.

12. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I put a Weber California in mine, and didn't like it, it was too brittle sounding. I ended up selling the amp, but if I was going to do it again, I think I'd try an Eminence Cannabis Rex, I've heard that it really warms the Classic 30 up.

13. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Member

I've got the exact same setup with the Classic 30 and Avatar hybrid cabinet. I don't gig with the cabinet so I'm thinking about pulling the G12H30 to replace the Blue Marvel which is way too harsh for my ears. Anything's gotta be an improvement.

14. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

If money is not an issue look into the Scumbacks... I can't imagine they wouldn't work with any amp for the better. The best speaker I have come across in years.