Speaker help Plz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sparky6string, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

OK I have an Eminence GB128 which from what I've found is unrivaled in clean-to-medium gain situations. The problem is I play in several bands and when I got to higher gain is really mushes out in my closed back cab. I guess what I'm looking for a a 12" that has that same sweet clean to medium gain reaction, but that won't mush at higher gain. Next on my list is the Private Jack since I'm financially challenged. After that the big prospect I see is Scumback.

Will that Private Jack give me what I'm looking for? If not will the Scumback deliver? Are there other alternatives I should be looking at?

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

not sure about a private jack, the Vintage 30s are what I run and love them they are in the Mesa Rectifier cabinets, bogner uses the V30s and G12T75 in combination.

from bogners web site, I always enjoy their comments.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The UBERSCHALL 4x12" straight cabinet model features a black front speaker grill, combination of Celestion V30's and G12T75's wired at 8 ohms. This combination unleashes the brutality of the UBERSCHALL amp, it helps to maximize the low end and give great cutting power to the mids/highs. A standard BOGNER 4x12" cabinet with V30's sounds great for the UBERSCHALL as well but we wanted to offer a cabinet that was fine tuned for the flame-throwing UBERSCHALL.[/FONT]

http://www.bogneramplification.com/customshop/SpeakersInfo.php

3. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I'm using a 1x12 closed back cab so speaker combinations are out. Actually this is my last ditch effort to avoid going with a V30 or similar speaker because I need better cleans than that.

It just occurred to me that maybe a G12-65 would fit the bill. Similar to a Greenback, but should hold together better at higher gain. How do these sound in a 1x12 closed back configuration?

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Scratch that idea- I noticed it's low efficiency. I need the speaker to have at least a 100db sensitivity rating since I'll be using it with loud drummers and a 2-6V6 amp. =/

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The G12K-100. Clean to scream it covers it all the best so far for me in one package! Bob

6. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I've seen you post about that speaker before. What can you tell me about it? What common speaker does it most closely resemble, and do you know the sensitivity? Is this speaker currently being made or is it out of production? I'm guessing it's a 100 watt speaker which seems a little overkill for my 15 to 25 watt amps, but I do have a 50 watter I could match it up with also. Thanks.

7. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

No one can help me with my question about the Private Jack or Scumback?

8. el34power

el34power Member

The private jack is a newer version of the GB128 so i don't think you will gain much IMO.
    Never tried the scummies.
    If you are on a budget, the EMI V12 would be my choice.
    V30 vibe, more power handling. less harsh.

Soldano uses them...

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You won't get 100db efficiency out of an M style speaker with the signature Greenback midrange hump you're looking for. That's because an M is a medium weight magnet and even the loudest cone used for these, the 1777 cone that Celestion uses, is limited to about 98db in the G12M RI (Chinese made). Only the H series models deliver that Greenback style tone without the bottom mushing out, but they don't have the same midrange character as an M style speaker.

Your next choice would be something like the Cele Gold to handle the wattage safely, and that's an alnico magnet, and costs close to $300 last time I checked, so it doesn't exactly fit your budget. Also the midrange tone is different from a ceramic.

I'm not recommending one of my Scumnicos since it's around 99/100 db, and that's borderline based on what you've stated. The Cele Blue and Gold with their 1777 cone selection are actually closer to 101/102db and they fit that efficiency rating you're looking for.

The only other option I see is to get a more powerful amp, with an M75 65 watt Scumback, which has more robust low end. That is also probably not the answer you're looking for, though, so all I can say is "Good luck!" :)

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Celestion Sidewinder

101 db sensitivity 150 watts

Does clean to mean without breaking a sweat.

$65-$125 depending on condition (used).

11. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'm considering going an entirely different route now with a 2x12 cab and a V30/G12H30. That might be a good medium ground between good cleans and solid high gain performance. Although I still haven't ruled out the other suggestions here.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Current production. Its 99db sensitivity. It may be overkill for a 25 watt amp but then again I run my V32 thru a2x12 loaded with them and I love the tone. My 2x12 cab loaded with them reminded me of a favorite combination of speakers -a G12H-30 and G12-65 with an all around tighter sound but not harsh either. One thing is for sure it wont "mush out"!
    I think its a hidden gem in thier line up. Partly overlooked probably by Celestions own write up on thier site! Im thinking it probably sends the wrong impression-Heck it was the last of about 6 Celestions I tried in part because I thought it would be too "metal" for my tastes. Its not.For instance-

"it delivers its famous sledgehammer lows, as favoured by Slayer’s Kerry King"

C'mon its just a speaker and a nice one at that. Heres the rest of the write up

"Celestion’s very own monster of rock, the G12K-100, makes full use of the heaviest G12 magnet to combine huge power handling with superb clarity across a wide frequency response.
    A massive bottom-end, rock-hard midrange and restrained top-end make this the perfect speaker to add thump and grind to modern high-gain tones.
    Loaded in 4x12s it delivers its famous sledgehammer lows, as favoured by Slayer’s Kerry King, but it also often finds use in small boutique combos, bringing a powerful mix of low-end warmth and mid-range attack."

Kind of contradictory too.

"it also often finds use in small boutique combos, bringing a powerful mix of low-end warmth and mid-range attack."

Which is it low end warmth or sledgehammer lows? I hear low end warmth thats tight not mushy/boomy.

When I get some extra cash Im going to get one for my V32 and probably my Rivera Chubster. Yeah,I really dig this one.

Of coarse the problem with speakers is that you have to experience them for yourself. A very personal,subjective thing. Ive got about 15 speakers in the closet including english made G12H-30's,G12-65,V30. I had to try them to really know. Part of it has to do with dang impedances though! If the G12K-100's I have in my 2x12 were 8 ohm I'd put them in the Chubster and V32 and go back to running the G12H-30/G12-65 in the 2x12. Like I said the combo is similar to the G12K-100.
    At any rate just a heads up on one of Celestions overlooked gems IMO.

FWIW My G12K-100 loaded cab makes my sons G12H-30/V30 cab sound kind of anemic. Some of it may be his cab but its an Avatar and built similarly to my Lopo cab. Bob