1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimD, Jun 11, 2006.

1. TimD

TimD Member

I just picked up a Mojo straight 4x12 and need help deciding which speakers should go in it.
    I play in a classic rock cover band. We do a ton of ABB, The Dead, Gov't Mule, Stones, Hendrix, SRV etc...I currently use a late 70's JMP MKII 50 watt head with a recent 1936 cab loaded with V30's. I orginally planned to just get 4 v30's but am I missing out on anything by not trying greenabcks to h30's?
    I realize there are many options available (scumbacks, eminence etc) but I need to keep my cost relatively low and the availability high.

Any help is appreciated

Tim

2. TimD

TimD Member

I appreciate the link, I've spent some time at the avatar site. I'm just looking for some real world adjectives or comparisons. Such as "speaker XX" sounds like "song XX" etc. Maybe just some general info to point me in the right direction.

Tim

3. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I am not a V30 fan.....

Regardless, hendix had greenbacks in his cabs a good deal (most?) of the time.

ABB is whole different thing - JBLs with some open back cabs, some closed.

SRV had various, including EV SROS
    Deab used lots of JBK k120s.

Emi has a new JBLish speaker Commonwealth, but I have not heard it.

Scumbacks a very giid fir the older Cele sound, but pricey.

4. cadjack

cadjack Member

I want to thank you for prompting me to open up my fave cab, an old Marshall checkerboard 4x12. ABB, SRV, Little Feat; pretty much anything with slide is what we used to do when I used this last.

For over 20 yrs I assumed it had 25w greenbacks in it, but they are 25W G12M Celestions with grey(2) and cream(2) backs. This is the best cab I've ever played my '77 MKII 50w or '74 MKII 100w through, both have 6550's.

Dunno if this info helps your cause, I don't like V30's much myself. Here's a pic if you're curious:

[​IMG]

I have no idea what the current equivalent would be, maybe someone here knows. Good luck on your tonequest!

5. TimD

TimD Member

Hmm, good looking cab you've got there.
    I'm thinking I'll try some greenbacks. The touble is, there's not too many places around here that stock a variety of cabinets/speakers.

Looks like it may be time for a speaker shootout at mi casa! Good thing I've got a ton of gigs lined up this summer. This will be a good opportunity to try out some speakers at gig volumes.

6. cadjack

cadjack Member

If you didn't have virtually the same amp, cab, and music style that I do I wouldn't have chimed in. These speakers work for me; well enough to not even look at them until today. I also opened a bassman cab with the same spkrs (one green, one cream) but they sound thin in that cab to me.

At least try a quad of the G12M 75Hz 25 watters in the Mojo cab. Might save you some time, frustration, and money. You owe it to yourself...

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

green backs rule for classic rock. I wish the bottom end was a bit tighter but...The mid and highs are glorious. I will never play anyting else with a marshall. You might want to hunt dow real green,cream or black backs. The can be less than the boutique stuf, will go up in value and sound better than the reissues.....IMHO.

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

Check out the Eminence site, or ask Tomo here at TGP...four Emi Wizards would be mitey nice!!!

Naylor speakers would be good too if you could find 'em.

Good luck!

9. el34power

el34power Member

FWIW I have a jcm800 4x12 with 2 greenbacks on top and 2 Red fangs on the bottom.

Very satisfied..

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

I love my commonwealth in my Bob Burt micro 12. It's 23lb...so
    Maybe be not for 4 12.

Tomo

11. Roe

Roe Member

Go for g12m or g12h type speakers.
    weber c1230-55 is aforable and sounds great.

12. Tomo

Tomo Member

Yes, I have played 4 12 cab with the Wizards. That was really great.
    (At Tampa FL ToneFest).

I also liked the StoneHenge (great for HBer)a bit brighter than the Wizard.

Texas Heat?

Private Jack & Red Fang?

Tomo