1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Speaker help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brucesinger, May 18, 2011.

1. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

Okay, I'm sorry for another speaker thread, but I am in a quandry about what speaker road to go down.
    Here is what I have: Mesa 5:50 head or a Lonestar Classic and a Mesa 2x12 vertical slant cab loaded with a couple of Mojotone speakers. (a Black Beauty and their BV30, both rated at 50 watts). I play Teles exclusively, and use a Timmy and an AM-modded TS9. I use the clean channel pushed with the Timmy and hit that with the TS9 for more gain. I occasionally use the second channel of the amp for a little higher gain. I play classic rock in the vein of early Springsteen, Mellencamp, Petty, Stones, etc.—low to medium gain stuff.
    I want to replace the speakers, but I have a limited budget, (sub $200 or so), and I want to stay away from heavy magnets for portability.
    I need to get a little more clarity without being boomy. (I'm also not a fan of Vintage 30s).
    Any suggestions?

2. Evansexcellent

Evansexcellent Member

You made it hard to make suggestions... I have a Lonestar classic and it sounded 1000 times better through v30s.

3. ES330

ES330 Member

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I'm curious how much a Fane would be in the US. E.g. the 150C is pretty clear and not boomy at all. Responds nicely to distortion in a sweet yet kind of aggressive way.

5. 8len8

8len8 Member

6. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

I stumbled across a great combination in my vertical Mesa 2x12: a fane medusa 100 in the bottom ($62 used) and an Eminence Red Fang on top ($120 used). Those are rare, bargain prices, but if you can score something similar it might suit your needs.