Speaker in Mercury VERY close to PI Tube -problem?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by NBlair930, Jan 29, 2012.

1. NBlair930

NBlair930 Silver Supporting Member

I installed a Celestion Blue in my Carr Mercury & the fit was so tight that I had to remove the bell cover -not pretty to look at now but it sounds good IMHO. There is an older post on TGP where others siad they were able to install a Blue in their Mercury WITH the bell cover on and i cant see how that is possbile as the baffle on this combo cannot be moved very much if at all. Whatever.

My concern is that the speaker magnet is almost touching the PI tube. While there is litterally the space of a human hair separating them, i am concerned that when the amp is being played that the vibration will make them actually touch one another. 1) even if they do not touch, is the close proximity of the strong Alnico magnet to the tube detrimental to tube life? Tone?; and 2) assuming they do in fact touch, is that detrimental to tube life? Tone?

I have thought of putting a slim silicone o-ring tube damper on the tube to act as a cushion b/t the tube & the magnet, but this would put the magnet & tube damper in contact 100% of the time and also slightly push the tube out of alignment in it's socket. Not a good idea?

2. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Have you emailed Steve?

3. NBlair930

I guess i should email steve, but i figure that the good people here at TGP could help too as 1) the issue is more likely a tube question not specific to Carr amps; AND 2) I was the party who modded the amp by removing the OEM speaker.

4. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

That's cool. I've just found Steve really generous with answering all kinds of questions. I'm curious too about your questions. I'd love to hear a Gold in mine.

5. NBlair930

So true -Steve Carr is one of the good guys in the amp business. No question about it.

6. NBlair930

Per Steve Carr:
    "There should be no problem from the magnet being close. You will hear a rattle if it touches and it is better for it not to touch thru a damping ring. I bet all will be fine."

Not only is Steve Carr a nice guy, he is an optimist as well. THANKS STEVE.