Speaker Issues...I think.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cream Fan, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Cream Fan

Cream Fan Member

When I'm not playing through my real amps, tend to play through my MacBook Pro through Garage Band. I don't use Garage Band's guitar models, but instead use one of the following pedals: V-Stack Classic, V-Stack BHM, or the Tech 21 British to get the basic guitar sound. I then use Garage Band for the effects. Up until recently, things sounded pretty good. Lately, however, I've noticed the sound becoming thinner and harsher. At first I thought it might be the AudioFire 4 sound card and then wen through the process of updating the drivers and firmware. Okay, a bit better, but still not back to where it used to be. I'm wondering if my speakers are the issue. I don't have monitor speakers, but instead a set of Boston Acoustic BA635's, which consist of two tweeters running out of a subwoofer, with the subwoofer providing the power.

Now, I'm sure a lot of you will recommend that I go out and get a set of montiors, such as the M-Audio Studiophile BX5a's. The problem I find with monitors is that they don't really sound like guitar speakers, per se, in that they are too clinical, which I'm sure you want when you are trying to hear exactly what you recorded. So what is a body to do in this respect. Anyone have any advice. I want something that won't break the bank but that have some balls and sound good. Your help would be appreciated.

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Play some cds through them and see if they have the same problem.

3. Cream Fan

Cream Fan Member

I do play CDs, MP3s, and DVDs, and verything sounds more or less normal when I do. What I think may be the issue is that the power amp in the subwoofer cannot take having a guitar signal run through it, especially when asked to reproduce the lower frequency transients. Then again, I'm grasping at theoretical straws, here, as I really don't know.