1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Speaker mix in Marshall 1960 Lead (help)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mooncusser, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey Guys,

If you had a Marshall 1960 lead cab with 4 G12T75's in it, and played alot of Hendrix and 60's stuff, what two other celestion speakers would you mix that would go nicley with the G12t75's.
    I think it would either be:
    2 V30's, or 2 G12H30's.
    Can anyone who has tried out this combo give me some advice?

Thanks,
    Mass

2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I liked mine with 4 G12h30s.

3. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

G12H-30's. They mix well with '75's and V30's.
    Chris

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

So the consenus is that the G12H30's would compliment the G12T75's more so........
    Thanks for the help,
    Mass

5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I'd dump all four gt75s and go with g12h30s or greenbacks. I think they get closer to the hendrix tone than v30s

6. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

OK,

let me ask you this, would the G12H30's or the Greenbacks give more of a clean tone if you needed it?
    Thanks,
    Mass

7. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

I would imagine that the G12H-30's would be cleaner (tighter)than the Greenbacks. The Greenies are known more for their breakup.

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I thought so...
    Thanks for affriming that.
    Ya know....some one once described the G12H30 as "brittle and bright".
    Do any of you find this to be the case?
    Also, once I dump the G12T75's....whats the bottom end on a G12H30 like, because even though alot do not care for the G12T75, the bottom end is like a cannon firing.
    Would I loose bottom end with the G12H30?
    Thanks,
    Mass
    ps..I listened to all the soundclips of all the speakers already, but they are never very acurate in my findings. I trust the opinion of you folks.

9. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

Yeah you will lose some bottom end. 75's are known for their big bottom, high top end and somewhat scooped middle. Thats why metal players prefer them.( Modern sounding, tight, hard to breakup) Where as Greenies are totally on the other end of the spectrum( vintage, loose, early breakup etc.) I wouldn't worry about the loss of the bass tho, unless your into Deathmetal or thrash music. G12H-30's have more bass than Greenies and are a little tighter but not as tight and bass heavy as 75's.

10. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks!...thats a real good description!
    I'm not into death metal, or metal period.
    Since I have not been able to afford to lay down the $$ for 4 new speakers, I have had to tweak all my EQ's to make the G12T75's fit my playing needs.
    Not to bad.....could be worse.
    If you had to list the one distinct signature that the G12H30 is known for, what would that be? :rolleyes:
    For example, the G12T75 has big bottom, high top end and somewhat scooped middle.
    Thanks again,
    Mass

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

G12H30s, 55hz bass cone for Jimi.

12. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks, Brandon...........:AOK

So in a nutshell, I lose the huge bottom and giant headroom that is slightly scooped with the G12T75's........
    And with the G12H30's I gain mids and quicker breakup?

Thanks for the help all,
    Mass

13. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

Your best bet if you don't have the money and you have to decide on getting just 2 speakers, get 2 G12H-30's. They have a clear top end and are a little scooped in the middle compared the V30's. They are not as scooped as the 75's. G12H-30's still have good mids but not as honky as V30's. Every speaker has its place for certain tones but your after Jimi's so like a couple other people said here, 2 G12H-30's are your bet to get a little closer on your budget.

14. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks everyone........:AOK
    Mass