Speaker mixing. Which speaker do you mic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slybird, Feb 12, 2015.

1. slybird

slybird Member

I often see posts here about speaker mixing, i.e. 'speaker A and speaker B is a killer combo.'

I've tried a few combos over that last year with a stereo amp. Some speaker combos were killer. Take one out of the mix, not so much. With one speaker out of the mix usually both speakers sounded less than optimum. Dialing in the sound for one speaker throws the speaker combo off.

When you do a show most of the time the sound person isn't micing all your speakers. Which speaker do you choose to have miced to the PA system? How do you decide?

2. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

This is exactly why I went back to using the same speakers in my cab. I had been using a mix of H30s/V30s and when it came to deciding which one to mic, I went with the V30. My thinking was that since it had less pronounced lows and highs compared to the H30, it would sit in the mix more easily.

3. kimock

kimock Member

You mic the one you should have gotten two of.

4. slybird

slybird Member

In the end that is what I did. I now have two of the same model speaker.

The entire speaker trial experience cost me about $170 extra, time changing speakers, time finding buyers on CL, and made me realize that most speakers sound really good once dialed in.

5. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

Man if you are playing shows where it's too much of a "hassle" to put 2 mics on an amp then... Wow... Why are sound guys often making more than a band at shows/festivals again????...

I'd tell the sound guy it's for stereo effects and it's necessary for my bands sound, which might still piss them off, but not as much as "well I've got two different speakers, and they really compliment each other, and...." See what I'm saying?
    Just my opinion, I've honestly never ran into that, however I use my kemper live with both main outs going to the FOH, so no different really.

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

Experiment with mic position on each speaker, and both speakers. I find that even if you're only micing one, the combo still seems to make a difference. That said, it's easy enough to mic both.