speaker ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by sublimeride, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sublimeride

sublimeride Member

I'am sure this is a dumb question but here it goes.I have a multi meter and a speaker that is not labelled .I turned the dial on the multimeter to the ohm setting and touched the leads to the positive and negetive side ( respectively ) but it doesn't work.Iam I doing this right?

2. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Member

When you touch the leads of your ohm metter together, does it read zero or very close to zero? If not, make sure the leads are plugged into the correct jacks on your multimeter. Usually volts and ohms have a dedicated jack and amps will have a seperate jack.

Does the speaker work, or is that why you are testing it?

3. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

As mentioned, touch the tips of the probes together- if nothing changes, your leads may be bad. If they go to a reading close to 0 Ohms, the meter should be OK.

Why are you checking this speaker? If it hasn't been working, your meter didn't lie- the voice coil may be open, or the lead from the terminals may have let go.

BTW- what you're testing with a multi-meter is DC resistance. Impedance is resistance to alternating current and it's more complex than this. The DC resistance will always be lower than the average impedance.

4. sublimeride

sublimeride Member

The speaker actually works fine it is just not marked on the speaker what the ohms are. I would like to know what the ohms are.So I should not set my multimeter to ohms? That is how I set it and it reads the same as when I touch the leads to each other.

5. Moddjobbs

Moddjobbs Member

+1 on making sure your meter is reading correctly! ^^ Also, you may have said this, and it may be obvious, but make sure the speaker is disconnected from the amp output for this test.

You do want to set your multimeter to ohms, but in order to get an estimated AC impedance, multiply the resistance reading by 1.25 (so if your meter read 6.4 Ohms, multiply by 1.25. 6.4ohms x 1.25= 8ohms Impedance.) Hope this helps! :)

6. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

That is the right procedure. Either your multimeter is bad or your probes are bad.

7. sublimeride

sublimeride Member

Thanks so much for the help guys.