Speaker polarity:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doublee, Apr 12, 2008.

1. doublee

doublee Member

Does it matter if you're running just 1 speaker? I have my wire mixed up and can't hear much or any difference...?

2. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah it matters, but if you can't hear it or feel it today, don't sweat it.
    If you're using an open back cab or combo and a humbucking guitar you're pretty safe from any ill effects from stuff going "backwards", but if you're a single coil guy, you should revisit the issue now and again: it will come back to haunt you eventually.

peace

3. doublee

doublee Member

Thank you guys. Yes I am a single coil kind of guy. I tried the battery trick and I think I've got it right.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

For a single speaker the "ear trick" works better than the "battery trick"...;)

IOW, just listen to both polarities. Play at a loud enough volume to get some controlled feedback. If at that point you don't notice any difference, then it doesn't matter for you.:cool:

5. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, the battery trick doesn't work for this one 'cause it doesn't give you the phase of the source.

peace

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Not sure what you mean by this. The standard for speaker wires out of an amp is black is considered negative, red or another color considered positive.

But maybe I missed your point?

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Those designations are arbitrary and meaningless relative to the number of phase inversions in the entire signal path from guitar pickup to pedals to amp gain stages and finally to speaker. With many amps, maintaining phase integrity from the source to the speaker will sound better in terms of "coupling" the guitar to the speaker, especially at higher volumes.

You could use a scope to check the source to speaker phase relationship, but your ears are often an easier and more reliable way to do it.

The battery trick is useful for determining relative phase of multiple speakers, but that's about it.