Speaker power requirements for SuperLead 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mody, Nov 30, 2019.

1. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

I highly recommend replacing speakers with Celestion Alnico Creams. 2 = 180w (90w ea) power handling and they sound INCREDIBLE. Only real question is if you can shell out the $580

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    mody likes this.
  2. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

Scumback H 75 would be better choice for this head than M75 (but admittedly I hate Greenbacks)

mody likes this.
  3. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

4. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

My ‘78 clocked at 220w peak, and annihilated T75’s in Marshall 4x12’s. Err on the side of more.

I’ve since modded mine where it’ll only peak about 75w now, but if I were to ever bump the voltages back up and use it for its full glory, I’d be inclined to use EVM-12L’s (or something of the like)

mody and zenas like this.
  5. zenas

zenas Member

@Vany raises a good point about actual wattage. 1959 Marshall were all over the place on voltages and actual wattage from 1965 to today. The 1959 one person has might blow the speakers right out of the cab the next guy has been using for years with his 1959.
    Mostly that's not a problem because most people never actually turn them all the way up anyway, without an attenuator or a master volume mod. Nothing wrong with that, it just cuts the actual wattage the speakers see. (and keeps law enforcement from beating on the door)
    For those few that actually can crank a healthy one up unencumbered by an MV or attenuator, it matters. Throw a pedal in the mix and all bets are off if you start talking square wave distortion. ;)

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  6. mody

mody Member

Of all the youtube vids I've seen surprisingly, I liked the T75 and Seventy 80 over the greenbacks!
    I have a Tone Tubby Alnico Red in my Dr.Z cab, I should try it with the RR100 to get a taste of that pairing.

That's very interesting, hadn't considered the variance factor. Also I've been considering a 4x12 T75s cab, it's good to know beforehand that I could blow this lot as well! Thanks, you might have saved me a lot of money! I mean I'll still probably end up getting the same cab, just won't expect it to handle the full power till I get a full stack!

Hehe :) So the clean boost is glorious with this amp, I have a DOD308 arriving sometime near christmas so that would be something I'm very curious about; the vemuram karen I have gets muddy with the RR100, damn good pedal for DI or a clean amp though, stays on the board for when I'm travelling.

The amp I have is a Rockitt Retro RR100, its a 69' spec 1959, with a PPIMV.

Also wondering if the 2x12 cab's Seventy 80s have fully broken in, fantastic fendery clean tones with them, I'll give them another two months, that's when I can actually get the 4x12 cab if these speakers don't improve.

Thanks guys, I really wanted to know about the power handling expectations and your replies have given me the parameters I need to work within.

Cheers!

zenas and JaiRamana like this.
  7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I ran mine full up into Ampeg V4 cabinets rated at 130 watts. Many times I only used one and they survived just fine

woof* likes this.
  8. woof*

woof* Member

I know right?
    I’ve used 1959’s on hundreds of gigs during the 70’s and 80’s with a single 4x12 - greenbacks, often dimed and I think in all those years one blown speaker.
    I don’t know what all the fuss is about.