Speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Porklash, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Porklash

Porklash Member

I want a speaker that breaks up early, got clear midrange and is about 30-60 watts. 4 ohms. I don't need a lot of lows.

Which one could that be? They can take more watts if the sound is..."perfect".

Just shoot and I'll check them out myself.

"Icepicky" doesn't have to be a bad thing in this case...

pEr

2. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

Celestion Greenback period.

3. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Won't handle the kind of power the OP requests.

I would look into the Weber DT-12 or a one of their narrower coil vintage series speakers. The less ribs the earlier breakup but also the darker the sound, so it is going to have to be some sort of compromise here. Then the narrow coil and a light magnet will make the speaker middier and slightly thinner sounding as well.

4. Porklash

Porklash Member

Thank you Gear Addict! But a Green Back is around 25 w? But it's possible it can work... And a Green Back can probably be borrowed and tried before I buy something.

Thank you solitaire for clearing up things about speaker construction...

The thing is: a lot of different speakers has been sounding good with this amp but to make it sound really good it needs the speaker to break up. The amp sounds good a low volume but then the speaker doesn't.

The way I figured it out was trough trying it with a EV 12L (my favorite!) and it was awful... All Celestions I've tried (not Green Back though) have been sounding at least good but also very loud. It sounds fantastic with Classic Leads but I don't play stadiums or big outdoor gigs very often...

Anymore thoughts?

pEr

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm not sure how easily it breaks up, but check out the Eminence Private Jack. It's supposed to be a Greenback, but at 50 watts. If you're willing to spend the extra money, there's the Scumback M75 - you can get that in 30 or 65 watts. And that should be about the best Greenback speaker you can get.

6. gmann

gmann Member

Try a Weber, they have all types and all price ranges. They have been known to mix and match parts to get a certain set of specs too.

7. freaksho

freaksho Member

yeah any higher watt Greenback inspired speaker sounds like the ticket. almost all the makers do one (Scumback, WGS, Weber, Eminence, etc). and the higher power alnicos would probably be good too (Celestion Gold, for ex).

8. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

The 4 ohms is the tough part. I'd talk to Weber or anyone else out there that does custom. Off the shelf that might be a tough find.

9. Porklash

Porklash Member

Thank you all! Weber does 4 ohm version of almost all their speakers!

Maybe it's easier to just get another amp?
    More fun at least!

pEr

10. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Amp and speaker affect tone in different ways. But obviously the power output and the type of output valves also react a certain way with the speaker...

Weber are great in that you can ask them to make virtually anything and in 90% of the cases they pretty much nail what you look for.

11. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Jensen Mod 10-50 comes in 4 ohm and is a damn good budget speaker. I haz a used one without a home. PM me if you're interested.

12. freaksho

freaksho Member

i would argue that trying new speakers is nearly as much fun as trying new amps.

13. Onioner

Onioner Member

Heck yeah.