Speaker Recomendation for Tweed Bassman tones on JTM45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by m1k337, Apr 20, 2016.

1. m1k337

m1k337 Member

I'm looking to pull some classic american tweed tones out off my JTM45. I know the two amps share similar builds. What I am running at the moment is a 4x12 g12h30 and love it. I have an old Bassman cab from '63-'64 with an old oxford and an unmarked speaker that was at sometime swapped with the other original oxford. So I'm looking for 2x12 speakers that will get me in that warm tweed neighborhood.

The 2x12 is closed back but I'm also thinking of making it open back to be more true. I know the old ones used 4x10 p10r's, and sometimes Q's. Anyways I'm looking for a 12 incher that will get me in this ball park, I don't know a whole lot about the Jensen's, I've been recommended the c12n's before, but I have also read they can be ice-pick-y.

My first instinct was the p12r, I also know many manufactures make their own replicas, I'm looking for something that will retain the character of the classic tweed amps. I want something that will be warm and still maintain the fender sparkle, but not harsh. Maybe something that could compliment the g12h30s, if I happen to use them in conjunction. I use a Stratocaster, I have recently put new GoldLion KT66's in. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

If you can find somebody making a P12Q you'd probably be a little better off.... Only because of wattage. Having blown two Weber P10Rs with a Vibrolux Reverb, I'm always hesitant to recommend lower wattage speakers.

I will say, I recently picked up an older Eminence 1228 that I threw in my 5e3. It really made the 5e3 sound a lot like my '59 Bassman RI. My BMRI has the Jensen P10R RIs in it. If you can find some of those Eminences (they were discontinued, I'm sad to say), I can recommend them.

3. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Check out the Jupiter speakers. Damn happy with mine :D

4. 71strat

71strat Member

Celestion 90 watt Alnico Creams.

I love them with my Metro GMP45. IMHO the best speaker Celestion has made in decades