• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Speaker recommendation for 2x12 closed back cab....

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Hi guys...I need some speaker recommendations for my Avatar 2x12 closed-back cabinet.

Let me set up what I'm looking for: late 70's-early 80's classic rock tone (typified by groups like Foreigner, 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Thin Lizzy, etc.)

My current arsenal (to reach this tone): Peters Polaris 50w head with JJ 12AX7 preamp, JJ E34L power, Tokai Love Rock (high-end, nitro) with Motor City Black Belt pups, D'Addario EXL140 strings and the Avatar 2x12 closed-back cab.

Speakers I've tried, but still not sold on include: Celestion G12H30/Vintage 30 combo, Greenbacks, Warehouse ET65 and Veteran 30 (and a combination of those two), JBL E-120 8, Electrovoice EVM-12L, Weber Silver Dog AlNiCo.

I know, I know....these are ALL great speakers, but I'm looking for something that has a little more articulation in "crunch mode"...no muddiness, good attack, good sustain, full audio spectrum "presence."

Given the music I've listed as the target...what do ye wise speaker sages have for me???? :huh

Thanks!

NitroLiq

G12H30/Alnico Blue is a popular, well-balanced combination...the blue keeps things articulate and chimey while using a crunch tone. The down side is the cab will only be rated for 30w. You could try a gold instead of a blue if you need higher handling. Or, find a pair of old G12-65s on the bay...killer speakers. Or, look into the newer Fanes if you plan on playing at full tilt.

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah...I may try to get some vintage G12-65's...that was what I was told the Warehouse ET-65 would cover, but I wasn't impressed...proabably should check out the real "thang."

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Hello....(sound of silence and crickets in background)...anyone here?

Surely you guys have some thoughts on this. I'm researching the Scumback...no one else have an opinion?:huh

Zuper

Silver Supporting Member
Late 70s, early 80s rock tones = Celestion G1265. The scumback M75LHDC 65watt is also a fantastic speaker with similar characteristics.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Hello....(sound of silence and crickets in background)...anyone here?

Surely you guys have some thoughts on this. I'm researching the Scumback...no one else have an opinion?:huh
Easy guy, you got three good responses in a matter of hours. I would second the G12-65 recommendations, new or vintage.

JamesPeters

If you can list what you did like and didn't like about each speaker (and speaker combination), it'd be easier to make recommendations. This sort of thing is relative, so having comparisons is the way to go. Knowing your guitar model, pickups, strings, etc. isn't so important as how the guitar sounds when you play it, and what you experience with the speakers with your particular settings.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I know, I know....these are ALL great speakers, but I'm looking for something that has a little more articulation in "crunch mode"...no muddiness, good attack, good sustain, full audio spectrum "presence.
Thanks!
Sounds like the CL-80s. I have them in my sealed OS 2-12, kind of like a V30 with more presence and more bass. They kind of hide your lead notes a little more, rather than putting them out there like the V30. I've been using them now for a year or two, but am thinking of moving to higher power greenback clones (I have one greenback 20 watter, I want private Jacks or Scumback M75s). The CL-80s are super rich speakers, but almost too rich. They're great for practicing at low volumes as they really boost the bass and highs, but when you crank them they might be too big.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
clay49, I replied to your email about a different email address to send the clip to. Here are some questions I need to have answered by you to really help recommend the right speaker for your tone. Would you mind sending the answers to me?

1. Guitar/pickups used, how hot do you set your guitar volume?
2. Amp type/tubes used/clean RMS rating (volume of 4-5) and OD power rating (over 5-7)?
Where is your amp’s volume set?
3. Fx pedals used?
4. Style of music or name a famous guitarist tone you’re trying to get close to?
5. Size and depth of cabinet (dimensions), is it straight or angled, open or closed back type?
6. What speakers are you using now and what do you think needs improvement?

If you can answer these six questions for me, I can do a much better job recommending a replacement speaker for you.

Trending Topics