Speaker Recommendation Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bix, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Bix

Bix Member

Went to the home of Valvetech last night and ordered a Valvetech VAC. This amp has a tweed clean tone and an overdrive which start where the tweed ends and goes from edge of breakup to very thick hot rodded marshall type tones. Pretty cool, and that's why I ordered it. Anyway, I need a recommendation on a 2x12 setup for this tyle of amp. I will be playing strats primarily. I will also be playing either really clean tweed tones or edge of breakup to medium overdriven tones.

What do you guys suggest for a 2x12 speaker combo. I was thinking G12h30 and V30 but am open to other ideas. I'll need to tell Rob in a couple of days, so please don't be shy and chime in.

Thanks
    Bix

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Did you play the 2x10 with the kendrick Black frames? I like them lots....

As far as 2x12, more Brit or more American sounding?

I am going to take an G12H30 to go with the Weber Blue Alnico someday.

Luke

3. Bix

Bix Member

Luke

I did play the amp with the Kendrick blackframes. I really liked the amp with these speakers. So you're saying 'Why do you want something different?'. My concern is two fold... There are a lot of great choices for 12" speakers and if you want to dial in your tone there are a lot of options to choose from. Also, I doubt this will be my last amp. I would expect that in a couple of years I'll probably move it, (I'm going on past experience here!). I think most players prefer 12's and it would be easier to sell with these.

As far as adjectives that would describe the tone I'm going for... warm, round, with a little hair but not a whole lot.

By the way, his Valvetech VAC amp is just plain cool. Do you remember that really cool Fargen dual classic tone from last year's Wakarusa fest? The clean on the VAC reminded me exactly of the clean on the tweed side of the dual classic. I really wanted a Hayseed, but could not pass up the VAC.

Bix

4. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

5. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

This topic is right on target for me. I own a recent VAC with 2x10's, but I have been pestering Rob with questions about building another Valvetech with 12's. I am just wondering if the bottom and mid projection from the 12"s will be significantly different.

I am curious if you are getting the original 22 watt version with 2x12's or if you are going with the 50 watt version?

With respect to speakers, if I go with new 2x12's, I have a couple of nice Greenbacks I was thinking of using. However, I also have a Celestion Alnico Blue that would be really nice in a 1x12 version.

I was thinking of going with the 50 and having a half-power switch option if I go with 2 12 inch speakers. Although this will be a much heavier and bulkier combo.

Just curious in sharing thoughts on these subjects. Maybe Rob will chime in..

By the way, besides making a great handcrafted product, Rob is a really nice... and patient man!

6. Bix

Bix Member

The VAC I am considering is the 22 watt 6v6 version. The clean on this amp just kills, I was really blown away. Anyway, I emailed Rob and he recommended the Emi Texas Heat. After reading some poster's thoughts on this speaker it looks like a great fit. I will probably be going this route.

Bix

7. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

This is a great clean channel, but IMO not super headroom if you need lots of volume...although the speaker choice would probably influence this.

Last weekend I was playing with a loud group of kids and I had channel one dimed and got a nice breakup from this clean channel. I like that tone, but I am not sure that the headroom is very high for keeping it totally clean when cranked.

The OD channel with boost on is really a sizzler too. This thing is a rock machine. The combination of that with the clean ability is really nice I noticed that this amp still lets every axe have its own voice even when overdriven. The drive is wicked, but it does not overcolor the tone like some modern OD amp's seem to...

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

When I originally went to Robs to play the Hayseed, I played his VAC as well. I just about did an about face and bought one of them instead. I had the '62 AC30 in my head that Chuck owns. My Hayseed is close. On 5 it is the best grind I have played, and on 3 the best cleans for a "new Vintage" sound.
    RE. the VAC The small size of the 2x10 is nice, and the lows are big.
    You are prolly right about the re-sale though.....

Are you out for Sat?

9. Bix

Bix Member

Luke

Yeah I have to work. Bummer but I'd probably just hear something else I'd be lusting for! I'll save money for gas (the fuel) this way.

Axemeister

Good point about the clean headroom. I suppose you could always go with more efficicent speakers for the lack of power. I thought about using blues which are pretty efficient but I'm not sure I'd like to tone of the alnico with overdrive. This is another good reason for going the 2x12 route in my opinion. You get to try and experiment with so many cool speakers that are available today.

What is your 2x10 set-up? Anything about their tone that you'd like to change / improve?

Bix

10. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I have the Weber Blue Pups. These seem to be the standard set up on the VAC, and they are really nice. If anything they seem to favor the mid to treble tones to my ear, but not in a strong way. I would call it mid focused.

The Webers have a lowish wattage rating so I was thinking that another 10" speaker choice may give me more headroom with less breakup. I may experiment and ask for some other 10" suggestions.

I think that the 12" speakers may give me the thump and fullness, but I wonder about the near range focus of the bigger speakers since much of the time I am just playing in my office studio room at the house. I also worry that a 2x12 may be too much of a back breaker for me to lug around....

By the way, the one thing that I really do notice about the VAC is its tone sensitivity and organic sound qualities even in the boost mode. It seems to bring out different nuances of certain pickups. This is a trait that have not noticed in my other amps when boosted and driven hard. For example, my Rio Grande BBQ Humbucker sounds perfectly balanced through the VAC, but I was just about to replace it before I got the VAC, since it sounded darkish through my other amps.

11. Bix

Bix Member

Axe

Rob uses a set of Kendrick 10" blackframes in his personal VAC and I can attest to very cool tones. It had big bass, pleasant mid and a nice full treble with no ice pick even when I used my strat bridge. It has great clean headroom as well. This might be the reason your amp breaks up on clean and loud.

Bix

12. conrad

conrad Member

My Valvetech 2X12 (Rob called it the Tweed monster) loaded with two Celestion V30's. Heavy as hell, but does everything I ever wanted.
    [​IMG]

13. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I have one of the earliest VAC heads built in February 2000. I run it through a Bogner 2x12 with anniversary series G12H30s. A kickass combination.

Below is a link to a jam featuring me and my overdiven VAC. Sections where you can really hear the amp's lead tones start at 1:45 and 5:30. There's some cleaner stuff in there too, through channel 2 with the boost off and the guitar volume rolled back.

http://musecafeonline.com/mcchris/05150507.MP3

14. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Really nice stuff Chris..!

So, this was an original 22 watt head driving 2x12's?? Was this mic'd?

15. MuseCafeChris

Yes, original 22-watt head, SN 007, with none of the "upgrades" to the circuit. Driving the cab described above. Nothing was miced; this was recorded with a couple condensors in the room.

16. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

....in this type of gig situation how hard to you find yourself pushing the 22 watts to get heard????

17. MuseCafeChris

Master nearly dimed, pre gains around 2 o'clock. No problem at all for solos to be heard; gotta kill the boost as well as lay back on the guitar volume and pick attack for rhythms otherwise they'd be too loud.

Totally full bore, this thing can easily hang with any hard-rockin' drummer, especially through a 4x12.

18. Bix

Bix Member

Well I backed off the 2x12 combo and have decided on a 1x12 option. I also listened to a lot of clips at Eminence and am having a Wizard installed. I really think this speaker will give the tone I am hoping for. I have two blues that I was going to use on a hayseed. I am going to keep one of these and try it as well when I receive the amp. I don't think I'll like the blue on the higher gain tones the amp is capable of but the only way I'll know for sure is to try!

I'll give a listen to the clip tonight at home. My work frowns on me playing clips in the office. I guess it is a little inappropriate!

Bix