Speaker Recommendations For Blonde Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mt10, May 22, 2006.

1. mt10

mt10 Member

I picked up a 64 Blonde Bassman and an empty 64 speaker cab to match with it. I was thinking about putting in Celestion Vintage 30's since that is what Setzer ran but I have been arguing with a buddy who thinks the Vintage 30's suck. I'm not a metal guy, more into the blues and rockabilly. Any recommendations? Does anyone else strongly feel that Vintage 30's are not a good speaker and I should stay away from them? Thanks

Eric

2. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Depending on which source you believe, Setzer uses V30's or G12H30's. I tend to believe he uses the G12H. I also have a blonde '64 Bassman. I have run V30's, G12H30s, a mix of the two, Eminence Tonkers, as well as old Celestions.

I usually end up going back to a pair of G12H30's. I tend to not like the mid-heavy sound of the V30's as much but do think they cut through much better in a band setting.

3. mt10

mt10 Member

Thanks Sundaypunch. Do you use the 16 ohm G12H30's or 8ohm speakers. It sounds like from other threads you can mismatch the impedence a step up or down but I was curious what you use since it sounds like you have tried a good range of speakers. The same buddy has a couple extra 16 ohm G12H30's that I could try but I wasn't sure if the 8 ohms was the way to go or if it didn't really matter. Thanks again.

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

I'd stick with 2 8 ohm H30s, wired parallel for 4 ohms--that's what the amp
    wants to see impedance-wise.

5. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Do you know offhand how the G12h30s would do with an AC30-type amp?

6. Roe

Roe Member

ask on the weber board. blue dog, 12f150 or 12a150 could also work fine I guess

7. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Where's the weber board?

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

My AC30-'type' is a TopHat King Royale head; 2 channels(4 EL84, GZ-34)

Ch.1 - vol. tone(non-topboost)
    Ch.2 - bass treb mid cut w/MV

I've used it in thru a Marshall 2X12 w/ 2 H30s and it sounds enormous.
    cab is :39"Hx29"Wx12.25"D

other cabs I have, as well, with excellent results, but, to answer your
    question, yeah, it sounds great thru the 2 H30s .

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

10. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

11. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

I meant to post an answer earlier, but was "rudly interrupted" twice... ;) I don't have personal experience with V30s and my '62 Bassman (6G6-A circuit), but listened to some samples from Proguitar.de comparing them to other Celestions and did not like them too much (too bright in my opinion, maybe not broken in when recording was done):

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareSpeaker/CompareSpeaker.html

I recently uploaded our old band demos to my homepage which were done with the Bassman and half of the Marshall cab with two G12H30 55Hz blackbacks from the mid '70s (4 ohm total load), but also with other gear. You can view a list with short descriptions and download the clips from here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=28073#28073

I used the Normal channel on these recordings though (volume on 10, treble and bass on 0, presence somewhere in the middle), while nowadays I plug into the Bass channel with the same settings and using the other half of the '72 Marshall cab with two original G12M25 75Hz greenbacks (8 ohm total load, not as loud and more gain).

12. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I always stick with 8-ohm speakers so the tranny will see the proper 4-ohm load. I know that most say a mismatch won't hurt anything but I don't want to take chances with my original 40+ year old transformers.

I have tried the head with a bunch of other speaker cab's using my Weber Z-Matcher. You can get them for under $100 and dial it in for the proper impedence.