Speaker recommendations for JTM 45 style amps

sbreide

What do you like for a JTM 45 type amp? Ignore what type of music I'm playing and what not... I'm interested to hear what you'd pick.

ultra

Silver Supporting Member
I use a quad of pre-Rola Greenbacks or a 2x12 of Celestion G12-65s with my JTM45

vmjoe

It seems that most used Greenbacks of some sort. Celestion still offers many of these as do other's such as, WGS, Weber, Eminence, Scumback, etc.

Tripower455

I LOVE greenback and variants thereof with my Marshalls (JTM 50, Superlite TMB and JVM). My main rig has a pair of Lynchbacks in a Mojo 2-12 slant, and i couldn't be happier. I just put a pair of Scumback M-75 65s into my Avatar 2-12 last week, and they sound awesome too.

sbreide

Yeah, I was thinking of WGS "Greenback"... just need to decide between the 25 and 50w versions.

highgeer

Gold Supporting Member
New production I would go celestion creamback, alnico gold, or used v30s.
saw, scum back, and eminence make speakers that are close.

Mike

hacinador

JTM45 is great with nearly every Celestion.

Early Marshall came with alnicos, so Blue or Gold is instant classic. I tried my Bluesbreaker with Blues in my AC30 and Gold in my Orange in both were great. I don't have BB anymore, but you can check Greg V YT video where he plays forty-five Retro king with Gold. It is sound to die for (but on the other hand which amp that Greg V plays doesn't sound like heaven...).

Greenbacks that came latter are also great and "autentical". I like them, but Alnicos were better (...but I'm alnico freak:knitting).

G12H are more "sharper" with better lows. Great for classic rock and hardrock. I wasn't fan of this compination, but it was still good, not vintage enough for me.

V30 are more modern and I didn't like it a lot, but I know I a guy that plays and record throw them with various amp from original JTM45 to original BF Fenders and just loves it.

Heritage G12-65s were too polite for me.

Creamback in open back 112 or 212 is good, but 412 with greenbacks is imho better :)

Let decide your ears :)

NativH

Platinum Supporting Member
Guess I'm the odd man out (so what else is new) because I use a quad of G12H30 Anniversary's in my 1960TV to tighten the sound up. The Greenbacks were too loose sounding to me but I play classic rock. Palm muting an SG just didn't sound right with GB's to me.

In an open back BB that was modded to JTM45 specs and used GEC KT66's, I used a 50W Weber Alnico Silver Bell and 50W Alnico Blue Dog both with light doping on the cones. Beautiful tone with a slight natural chorus effect due to the different response curves (I suspect). I don't know how those would sound in a closed back cabinet though.

tubetonez

I have a 4x12 loaded with WGS Green Beret's, I prefer their tone vs. the newer Greenbacks.

In my JTM45 2x12 "BB" combo, I have Eminence Tonkerlites. I really like their tone, the neo magnets impart a bit of Alnico flavor - as well as reducing weight. I used to use just one in a "mini" 1x12 BB style combo, with JTM45. They're rated for 120w, and can definitely handle the power.

Early Marshall came with alnicos, so Blue or Gold is instant classic.

Greenbacks that came latter are also great and "autentical". I like them, but Alnicos were better (...but I'm alnico freak:knitting).
Yes, the early JTM45 combos had just two 15W Alnicos. Although they were silver (and without the rounded magnet covers) I believe they were the same as the famous Blue speakers in the AC30. The 45W power rating of the Marshall was always an exaggeration, but they did blow speakers. Hence the change to Greenbacks rated at 25W each.

71strat

I have a MetroAmps GMP45 limited edition.

I have several cabinets I run with it.

4 x 12 1972 Celestion G12M 75hz x 25 watts in a 1960 Oversized TVB cabinet from Mather and Original Blues Breaker Pinstrip cloth from E.C. Collins.

2 x 1 x 12 TS806 Cabinets with Hemp coned JBL E120's

2 x 15 Altec Lansing 418 8H

2 x 12 Fane Medusa 150C

Fane 2 x 2 x 12 AXA12 Alnicos

2 x 2 x 10 Fane AXA10's.

Hi Tone 2 x 12's speakers and cabinets.

For Modern Speakers and the Money the Hi Tones are Hard to beat. They are similar to the original Fane Cresendos. As are the Fane Medusa 150C

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
I ran my Bluesbreaker with a combination of the weber silver bell and blue alnicos. My understanding of silver is, it is supposed to be a repro of those early alnicos marshall used. I really liked the combination in the bluesbreaker. I tried to convert the amp to as close to original as I could get it (original cap values, kt66s, disconnect trem) and it was a fantastic sounding amp.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I prefer more 'H' magnet toned speakers with the JTM circuits.
I like best the Scumback H75/H55 mix...or just 2 H75's.
The M75/H75 is a good all around mix though too.

Also like EVM 12L

Seegs

When I had my JTM style amp I did a speaker comparison and Celestion Golds won hands down...in second place was the Scumback Scumnicos...

Chow,
Seegs

sbreide

When I had my JTM style amp I did a speaker comparison and Celestion Golds won hands down...in second place was the Scumback Scumnicos...

Chow,
Seegs
I'd LOVE to have Golds... just a little out of my price range right now. Someday.

Black_Label

My favorite with my JTM 45 is a quad of Scumback alnico S75-PVCs in a tall bottom cab. The larger cab gives them extra room to resonate and brings out the bass a bit. Ideally, I'd get a set of vintage Celestion alnico silver bells, but the Scummies are pretty close.

Trending Topics