Speaker recommendations for new cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Randingo, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Randingo

Randingo Member

I'm having two 1x12 cabs built by John at Stone Age to go with my Maz 18 and the Quilter MicroPro Mach2 (8") I'm about to purchase. I'm considering a variety of different speaker makers, and as I plan to hold on to them for a long time, I'm not going to worry too much about cost. So Celestion, Scumback, and Austin Speaker Works are my 3 main choices, but I'm willing to listen to other ideas as well.

Ideally, I'd like to get some crossover out of these, but I recognize that's asking a lot, given the vastly different power ratings of them amps, etc. So if you've got ideas that you think would work well for, say, the Maz but have adequate power handling to be useful with the Quilter, that's great; on the other hand, if you think the best move is to find one speaker for each amp, then make your recommendations that way.

What I'm looking for: in the Maz, I'm looking for a speaker that will give me better cleans than the stock Z speaks in the 210 combo (I'm probably going to sell the combo and get an NR head, but that's the subject of another post). The issue with the 10s is a very hard, forward upper midrange and lack of high-end sweetness when clean. No eq is capable of making the cleans sound sweet. So I'd like a speaker that won't sacrifice the Maz's ability to take all kinds of OD and cut through well in a mix, but at the same time has a sweeter top end and more neutral upper mids. It would be great if it would also accent the EL84 chime when I set the amp up that way. I'm definitely considering alnico for this speaker but am open to all suggestions.

As for the Quilter, I'm getting it because I'm starting to do gigs with a friend who plays acoustic all night, and stage volume becomes a really tricky issue in some of the smaller rooms. I'm also generally fascinated by the technology, love the idea that I can also plug an acoustic into it or use it as a small PA for coffeehouses or house concerts, and love what I hear in the demos. I know they ship with the Classic Lead 80 in their cabs and 12" combo, so I definitely want something pretty neutral for this amp. If, like the CL80, it will play nice with the Maz, that would be great, but again, I'm interested in all kinds of ideas here.

2. Randingo

Randingo Member