Speaker recommendations please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deaj, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

Hello all! :)

I'm thinking about changing out the speaker I currently have in my Fuchs ODS-50 combo (1x12 oval ported back - EVM-12L currently installed) and I'm looking for some recommendations based on the following criteria - any help is greatly appreciated:

I'd like to find a speaker with lots of chime, solid bass response, smooth treble without lacking detail, and generally voiced for rock and blues - a little distortion from the speaker at higher volumes is acceptable. There's a bell-like chime to some AlNiCo speakers I've used in the past (late 50's Jensen 12 in a tweed Deluxe, Emi Red Fang, 10's in a late 60's Super Reverb) - I'd like to find a speaker with this 'chime' for use in My Fuchs combo enclosure. I also dig the soft compression that AlNiCo's seem to impart. I'm not set on an AlNiCo speaker though.

Right now I'm thinking about trying another Emi Red Fang as the current model is rated for 50W RMS / 100W Peak and should be fine with this amp.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

2. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I had a Jensen Jet Alnico. Pretty close to my RWB, but it has more chime. I sold it to my neighbor who uses it with his D'Lite. He loves it.

My ODS30 sounds best (to me) with the RWB. I'm pretty sure Andy voiced it for that speaker.

FWIW I demo'd a newer ODS50 twice at a local store. The first time with a RWB in it, the second time with a Jet. Sounded great both times.

I've settled on an old Celestion 1265 for my D'Lite, btw. IMO, it's all about finding the right speaker for your amp, and your tastes. Definitely not "one size fits all".

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with a JBL K120 for the alnico tone,tight bass due to the nice big magnet and the slight compression when pushed.

4. Gris

Gris Member

I wouldn't run a single 50 watt speaker off a 50 watt chassis, especially if you are using pedals. I would opt for a Weber 75 or 100 watt model, either a ceramic Blue Dog (75 watts) or a Fane Axis alnico clone (100 watts). Ted's having a 15% sale right now. You can get the Blue Dog to your door for about $100 and the Fane clone for about $190. Best case scenario though would be a 2x12 cab with two mid power alnicos - old P12N, possibly Tone Tubbies. The 'Fangs' are a little too forward and in your face for me - not as smooth as the aforementioned.

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely look into the Weber options. I placed some emphasis on 'smooth' in the highs but the amp is plenty smooth on its own. As I recall the stock Emi Wizard was a bit more agressive in the upper mids and top end. I'm leaning towards something with some teeth - the 12L lacks this.

I found a Red Fang at a good price and ordered one up. I'll talk with Weber tomorrow as well.

Keep 'em coming. Thanks again! :)

6. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

When your Emi arrives, you'll soon learn why they put that EV in your amp..... the more speakers you try, the more glad you'll be that you didn't sell the EV.

Fuchs aint no dummy.......you dont suppose there's a good reason why he put an EV in his amp?

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

Actually I installed the EVM-12L (I do agree - the 12L is a great match for the amp and enclosure). The current stock speaker for the ODS is the Emi Red, Whie, & Blues (balanced and clean - shares some sonic traits with the 12L) but iin 2005 when I bought my ODS its stock speaker was an Emi Wizard (reportedly similar to the Celestion G12H30). If not for the cone cry at higher volume I'd say the Wizard was an excellent speaker choice for the ODS. It certainlty suited my preferences well. I'm just experimenting at the moment and looking for a speaker with some color and character - words not oftenused to describe the 12L. I seriously doubt I'll let this EVM-12L go. It's a great sounding speaker and broken in nicely.