Speaker Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitar Dave T, May 15, 2006.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I have a 1967 Vibrolux Reverb with Jensen C10N speakers. Actually, the original Jensens are boxed up for safe keeping, and I run the new Italian Jensens. They sound great for my style, but like the originals, they don't handle the higher volumes too well.

This was not a problem when I used this amp exclusively for a straight blues band, but now it has a different use: It's an auxiliary amp for a once-or-twice a month outdoor gig, used in Tandem with a 40 watt Fender Blues Deluxe in order to maintain some presence and volume over a seven piece band with a very loud drummer.

Don't get me wrong, these two amps sing together nicely... The problem is I have to either recone or replace the Jensen speakers every 3 months or so in the Vibrolux Reverb.

This is getting expensive, and it's a pain in the butt.

Any recommendations for a great sounding 10" speaker for a 2-10 open back configuration, that has that great Jensen warmth, a tightly focused bottom end, handles more power and lasts as long as the Celestion V30 I use in my Blues Deluxe (10+ years and I've only had to recone it once).

Has anyone used the new Celestion G10? Thoughts, comments?

How about the Emeninence Patriot "Ragin Cajun"?

Thanks!

2. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Eminence Legend 102K. Takes 35 Watts, sweeter sound.

3. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

Do a search for the Cajun and I'm sure you'll find tons of content. The Cajun has a good sound but you'd be selling yourself short if you didn't check out the high power series (ceramic) from webervst.com. I have a Cajun, a Weber California and a Weber Michigan. I prefer the Michigan with my rig, but it is darker then the Cajun (has more depth as well). I use 2 1x10 cabs (detuned) with my Traynor YBA-1. Ted Weber is very helpfull when answering e-mails about his speakers. The Cajun has a nice EQ response and nice breakup characteristics when driven. I would think that two or more Cajuns would sound very nice. The Cajuns do tend to fart up when driven at high volumes into heavy speaker distortion and I had one tap out on me once (40 watts through one Cajun w/ the bassy Frantone Peachfuzz engaged [probably make alot of tens melt down]), but if you plan to use more then one I'm pretty sure you will not have this problem. My Cajun sounds the best in my pine enclosure. My Weber michigan can take everything I've thrown at it but it does sound a bit darker (albiet it has a ton of bass and sparkle). I think Webers Chicago speaker is supposed to be a high powered version of the old Jensen style. Hope some of his helped, good luck.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I know this isn't what you asked but I made a replacement baffle and run one 12 in mine and think it sounds better then any 10s I have heard. I did no damage to the cab drilled no holes and put my vintage grill cloth away where it won't get wrecked. With the reissue aged grill cloth it looks original from the front too. I tried a bunch of speakers and settled on an Weber alnico 12A150.

5. mmorse

mmorse Member

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked out their website and the sound clip has that great, aggressive greenback tone, but can it do a sweet, sparkle tone?

BTW, sticker-shock-city. For a speaker that claims to be a recreation of a Celestion, why the higher price than the original?

7. karmadave

karmadave Member

Weber 10F150. Comes in a 25 watt or 50 watt. Direct replacement for a C10N. Should hold up better than a Jensen re-issue too...

-KD

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I was looking at Ted Weber's high power series "Chicago 10". Ever heard one?

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The Scumback 10 does a great sparkle and grind, but I think 908SSP is right. A 12" speaker in your cab would be a better solution for the outdoor rig gig.

As for the cost of the Scumback speakers, mine are all made to very old Celestion Pre Rola tone specs, with special parts, aging, doping and are partially broken in by Weber VST for me before they ship. I'm not making excuses here, but when my cost for one speaker made this way is more than you'd spend on a G12H30 Anniversary from Avatar, you have to charge more.

On the other hand the tone those speakers do such a great job of recreating are just a bit more expensive, and you never know if they're actually good when you get them (meaning no voice coil rub, noises, vibrations, etc.).

Here's an example of a recent G12H30 Pre Rola auction on eBay. I've saved it for reference. At 1/3 the cost for that tone, the Scumbacks are a bargain in comparison...
    http://southbayampworks.com/ebayprg12h/ebay-prg12h.pdf

I'd still say go with a 12" speaker with a heavy (50 oz.) magnet for your open back combo, as it will provide the bass you need, and if you go with a speaker with a higher power rating, say a 65 watt model, you can easily handle your amp's power with one speaker.

Hope I've helped/explained your questions and comments for you. If not, email me or call, I'll be happy to help.

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I am currently already running a 60 watt 12" Celestion V30 in a 40 watt Blues Deluxe in tandem with the Vibrolux Reverb for outdoor gigs, so I've got the 12' thing happening. I LIKE the variety of using 10's and 12's, and when the stock 10" Jensen speakers are working, they sound FANTASTIC.

Then they blow out. ;)

Hence the need for 10's, not 12's, that can hold up better, but maintain the cool tone of the stock speakers.

11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I run a 12/10 cab myself with an H75/SA10H75 mix at 8 ohms. Plenty of chime, low end clarity and the immediate attack of the 10" speaker. However, aren't the Jensen 10's an Alnico, or are they ceramic? And are they the Italian Recotron models, or real ones? All that good stuff will make a difference as you know...

12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Jensens come in both ceramics and alnicos, just like 'back in the day'.

Current Jensens are Italian made. As far as the difference goes, I had a 65 Twin with original C12Ns, and I have a couple of the current ones in other amps. From what I remember of the originals, I hear no difference - very articulate speaker with a rich, organic 'woman tone', a good growl when driven and a sweet sound when slightly driven. Same experience I had when I boxed the original C10Ns in my 67 Vibrolux and installed a set of Italian Jensen direct replacements.

13. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

My buddy's VR has Kendrick blackframes. It's a wonderful sound. I'd have a hard time choosing, as I also really love the Weber ceramic 10s. You cannot go wrong with the 10F150.