Speaker Recone On Vintage Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by facon, Mar 26, 2015.

1. facon

facon Member

I have a 1967 Fender Vibrolux reverb with C10NS speakers in it. The low end is starting to go out quite a bit. My other guitar player has an identical Vibrolux and when I swap cabs you can really tell. I've been stuck between trying to find new speakers or having them reconed. The amp is in extremely good condition.

I'm wondering about how much value is placed on original speaker cones in vintage amps. If I get them reconed, should I expect it to lose resale value? I may still do it regardless, but would like to at least make an educated decision.

2. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

Some consider it a hit to the value....a player will appreciate healthy cones. I have a '57 tweed Bassman and all four original speakers are reconed ...sounds fantastic!

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure what comes close to C10NS speakers, but pull 'em, box 'em, and put something else in (WGS g10c, jupiters, etc)... It'll be fun.

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

That's a tough one if the speakers are still OK but not perfect. The Jensen C10N's are worth quite a bit as is.
    I'm also not sure anyone has the correct stuff to recone them. I've had superb sounding and vintage accurate recons from Orange County Speaker, but those were CTS and Oxfords. Amazing how good a reconed vintage Oxford is. Everyone calls them "Oxfarts", but when "new" they are wonderful speakers. No wonder Leo picked them. The last ones I had done were in a Pro Reverb. Huge bottom end when done.

I'd probably box the Jensens and buy a couple CTS or Oxford frames and have them reconed. There is a vry long thread on Vlux speakers if you can find it... and it seems the jury is out on what's best new.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Original speakers that sound bad are not going to hold their value; in your amp or out of it in a box. I would send them to Weber and have them use their 10F150 cone and 50 watt voice coil. Also have the use light doping on the surround and break them in for you. I have a pair of 50's P10P's in my '64 Vibrolux that were reconed to those exact specs.

[​IMG]

6. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

IMHO recones had a bad rep in the past as reconers would use poor parts (such as the dreaded Waldom cones). The speaker would work, but would sound terrible. These days it is much easier for a reconer to get good parts, and there are several reconers out there that really know what they are doing.

Weber did a great job on my Celestions (all Greenbacks that were poorly reconed, they sound great now), and in the eighties I got the speakers in my 5F6A Bassman reconed with original Jensen cones, those sound great as well.

7. facon

facon Member

One of the guys in my band is ordering a pair of Celestion Golds for his Super Reverb. I'm curious about them, so I'm going to pop them in to see what they sound like. If they sound great to me, I'll be more inclined to go the route of finding some other speakers for it. Speakers are just so damn important and I'm dreading a speaker search.

There is a small part of me that has been thinking about golds for a long time. I lean in between the Vox and Fender camp. I've been thinking that a little less volume, smoother highs and thicker mids could be a really cool thing for the Vibrolux.

The C10NS are not horrible sounding at all. They're still fine, but with a low end loss that I'm noticing. Since this is the case, I'm leaning towards packing them away to save what's left. If it comes up that somebody has an exact replica of the cone, I may pull the trigger and have them reconed.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  8. dcbc

dcbc Member

I have 4 C12N's. One was reconed back in the 90s. They all sound tremendous and I'd be hard pressed to pick out the recone by ear.

9. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

Just restore the speaker/s to work properly and don't worry about the minutia of value.

10. facon

facon Member

My question was regarding how much value is placed on this. I can't not care about something unless I have some idea as to what it is. It sounds like you have an idea of what that is and consider it small. Care to share?

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

No point in reconing the C10N to a weber 10F150.... those are cheap on the market used. Those jensens may be worth..250-350? if you sell them.
    The beauty of the original Jensens is the paper voice coils... on some anyway... not sure about eh C10N? AFAIK, the proper parts are not available to redo them. Maybe someone has cloned those parts now?
    I've sold a lot of Jensen vintage speakers... it's amazing what people will pay for them. To me many of the Alnicos sound like crap but the buyers seem to love them!
    I currently have a vintage P12Q alnico thinking of selling. Last one I got $125 for it.

12. facon

facon Member

To be sure, there is a difference between Jensen C10N and C10NS speakers right? Mine are labelled C8284.

13. wetordry

wetordry Member

It deserves good sounding speakers, and if it's a moral dilemma buy new and save the old for when the Antiques Roadshow comes to town.
    Seems like resale issues occasionally change over the years.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I was wondering if you were saying the speakers were C10Ns or C10NS. Are they actually labeled Fender? Because the extra letters are usually for a specific application, like an organ, and isn't a 67 pretty late for Jensens? Even so, the field guide says C10Q for the Vibrolux Reverb, would Leo or CBS have spent the extra to overspec the speaker?

If they're not slam dunk, never been touched original then there's no loss to reconing!

15. joevacc

joevacc Supporting Member

If you go the re-cone route try Tony at Vin-Tone.

Tony has been re-coning speakers for decades. He is as honest as the day is long and he won't blow any "vintage smoke" up your ass.

He has all the best components in stock and has re-coned speakers for tons of valuable Fenders over the years.

Good luck,
    jv

16. facon

facon Member

Well, I played with the Celestion Golds in my Vibrolux for around 6 hours today. Absolutely unreal. It took an amazing amp and put it over the top. Every difference it made were the same subtle things I would do to EQ it when recording. Great experience. Ordered a pair today.

17. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I've seen early '67's with C10NS speakers; which are pretty much the same speaker as a C10P. The field guide is crap. Fender never used the Jensen C10Q in a Vibrolux Reverb.

I, personally, didn't care for the golds in my Vibrolux. They do sound good in a brown Super though!

18. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

Just an estimated guess, but say on a hypothetical $1000 vintage amp, I wouldn't think it would hurt the value more than $50, or not much more than that per speaker. It depends on the amp I guess. On a very rare amp, it may result in a higher lost of value maybe. As I see it, mass produced amps (of a vintage nature) that are still plentiful shouldn't take much of a value loss, but then, there's a lot of silliness out there over this kind of thing.