Speaker Recone?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Keifer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Keifer

Keifer Silver Supporting Member

I have 3 blue label Jensen C10N's from 1963. 2 of them have a very slight tear near the edge and overall the cones are pretty dry. My understanding of having a recone is that everything is new except the frame and magnet. If that's the case is the purpose of a recone to use all period correct materials so that you have a new but old speaker? I hope some of that made sense.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yes, I'm not sure anyone has the correct Jensen type parts for an accurate recone though. That used to be the case, but maybe someone has stepped up and got those parts going now...? Of course there is some tone difference in a new stiff cone vs one that has been worked hard for years.
    You could mend the small tears. I've even used clear silicone sealant brushed on the perimeter with a small acid brush successfully. Some vintage speakers tear micro tears on the perimter radially (from the center out.) Just due to flexing and being worked hard I guess.
    I once bought a 70's really crappy Gibson 2 x 12 amp for almost nothing. It looked new.. closet classic for sure. Terrible brittle sounding amp. But the good news is it had two perfect as new C12N's in it!

3. Keifer

Keifer Silver Supporting Member

when I got the speakers they were all perfect. I had one in a 66 Princeton Reverb and the other 2 in a Vibrolux. I checked them this week and saw the tears so it got me thinking about the recone. I know how to repair them with Elmers and a paper towel.
    I'll give it a go

4. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

There's an amazing thing about why those speakers from 50 years ago were so desirable back then...

They were new.

Granted....some paper formulations have changed because of the length of the paper pulp fibers....but all great sounding new speakers have the same issue, and all the cones in the world come from the same handful of suppliers.

Doing a nice recone on a vintage Jensen is possible with new, available parts.

Speakers are a wear item....especially after 50+ years.